GEB AND NUT

GEB AND NUT

The myth of Geb and Nut is the way egyptians explained the existence of the sky and the earth, and also why the year has now 365 days. It all started when Ra, the king of the gods, found out Nut was pregnant.

The sun god feared anyone taking his throne, and he saw Geb and Nut's children as a threat to his reign. To prevent this, he prohibited Nut to give birth any day of the year (in that moment, the year was 360 days long).

Nut spoke with Thoth and he created a plan to allow the goddess to have her children. He gambled with Khonsu, god of the moon, whose light rivaled Ra's. Rules of the game were each time Khonsu lost, he had to give Thoth some of his moonlight. He lost so many times that Thoth had enough moonlight to create five more days.

He gave that moonlight to Nut, and she created five more extra days. Since these days were not part of the year, Nut could have her children. She had five children (see chapter The Ennead): Osiris, later ruler of the gods and then god of the dead, Horus the Elder, god of war, Set, god of chaos and the desert, Isis, goddess of magic, and Nephthys, goddess of water.
(a/n: in some myths, Horus does not appear as a member of the Ennead and son of Nut, but this is the most famous version of the myth as egyptians added Horus to the Ennead later in time)

When Ra found out about this, he was furious. He ordered Shu, god of the air and father to both Geb and Nut, to keep them apart forever. Geb stayed on the ground and Nut on the sky, and everytime they tried to reach each other Shu used the air to push them in opposite directions. This is how egyptians believed the earth and the sky were made, and the explanation of why the year has 365 days.

G L O S S A R Y

Thoth; god of wisdom