6 | The Things You Hide In Your Heart Will Eat You Alive.

Zaire's POV:
"Ha ha," I say after my dad makes a joke. This is so awkward. I mean the family of the guy I might possibly like is at my house. Having dinner. With my parents. And I'm trying so hard to be calm, but it's really difficult.

"Alec, how's your day been going," I say trying to play it casual like we haven't just met up a few hours ago.

"Fine," he says sounding confused. I don't blame him. I mean when I saw him I thought we were at the wrong house. I was about to walk out the door. I can already hear the conversations my parents are going to have with me about Alec. How I didn't tell them I about him, if I like him etcetera.

"Well," Andrew says, "I was going to introduce you too, but it seems like you already met. I suppose you go to Wellington High as well."

"Yes, I do I'm a senior," I say.

"Well congrats you're almost at the end," Andrew says.

"Yeah I'm almost there."

"So how did you meet Alec," Andrew said. Now you might call me crazy but I am pretty certain that my parents, Alec's parents, and Alec himself leaned forward. I don't know why though it's not that interesting of a story.

" Well *It's Kind of a Funny Story. It was the first day of Senior year, and I was trying find my first period. I wasn't paying attention, and I ran into him literally. Then we fell onto the floor.

Later in first period we found out we sat next to each other and soon after realized our schedule was the same." I survey my surroundings and see that everyone (except Alec) looks like they're about to bust out laughing. My mom is actually snickering.

"Well," Andrew says "it seems like for once it actually paid off to not pay attention. If not you never would have met my son."

"Yeah for once it did.," I say.

"The food is ready. Come on eat" I hear someone say. I turn and see Alec's mom. I was wondering where she was. Alec told me his parents have been married for 20 years so I knew she had to be here somewhere.

"We're coming," Alec's dad says standing up my parents follow suit while Alec and I stay seated.

"So..." Alec says "didn't know you were coming over." "Yeah that makes two of us. If I had known I would have dressed more casually." "Yeah we could have just stayed at the pier, or walked through the city to see the stars," Alec says. "It's a clear sky tonight it would have been perfect." Although it wouldn't have. Recently It's been hard for me when I'm around Alec.

I'm trying to get over my feelings for him. Despite my best efforts it hasn't been working, so I seriously have to be conscious of how I act. I don't want him to know, it would ruin our friendship. And regardless of my feelings Alec is still a great friend.

Alec's POV:
Alright I have two things to say number 1: if my parents are trying to do a 'find my loner son a girlfriend' plan I'm actually okay with it this time. Two: this is certainly the most awkward I've felt in a while. Sitting here with my parents, and with Zaire and her parents (whom I was not aware were coming over) eating dinner. Which proves how awkward this must be. Typically the only thing I care about at dinner is the food. No conversations just eating, but now it seems like I should say something, to keep the conversation going.

Truth be told I'm not good at conversing with people. I try to hide it, but I am definitely socially awkward. On multiple occasions, when my parents make me order and pick up pizza, I almost have a breakdown. It's from the fear of talking to someone on the phone or going to the place and having to converse with the people there.

It's horrible I hate it when I'm around groups of people, although I never feel that way around Zaire. "Alec," I hear Zaire say. "How about we actually go walk through the city and go see the stars."