Chapter 23

It was growing dark outside now, we had made it by my house and gotten everything that we needed. All of our backpacks were filled completely to the max with supplies, and after the walking we had done, I felt exhaustion taking over me. Which in all honesty, was most likely just a side effect of the medicine I had been giving at the hospital.

I felt Matt wrap his arm around me as I stumbled over my own feet. He gave a small chuckle, and smiled down on me. “I think we should probably stop for the night, you look tired.” He spun me around and pulled my face up to look at him. “You just stay here with Katrina. I'm going to find some firewood, just take it easy right now.”
I gave him a weak smile and nodded in responce, my face turning slightly red. God, his eyes were so pretty, I didn't want to look away from him.

“Oh Okay, We'll be fine, just don't take too long okay.” I mumbled tightening my hand around his wrist.

Carefully, he slipped his hand out of my grasp then placed his warm palm softly on the side of my face. I was probably was freezing cold, but it didn't bother me, we had been walking all day anyway, I couldn't feel the cold anymore. He then leaned forward and placed a tender kiss on the top of my forehead, and now my face was burning as I remember how it felt when he actually had kissed me. Shyly I let my gaze fall to the floor away from him so he couldn't see me blushing.

“I'll be fine.” Matt reassured, then I could hear him pulling his jacket up over his head. “Take this for now, you're  freezing.” He whispered as he placed the jacket over my head. I noticed as he did this that my hair was mostly dry already, so I used my good hand to pull out the ponytail Katrina had tied my hair into. Then I carefully slipped my arms through Matt’s big warm hoodie. He smiled, his eyes looking me up and down. “I like it when you wear my stuff.” He mumbled in my ear, and then he was gone, leaving me with an embarrassed expression on my face as I noticed Katrina staring at us.
She giggled as I watched Matt disappear into the woods.

“Would you hush, and sit down for a little, I know you must be tired right now.” I quieted down my little sister, knowing full and we'll that she was making fun of me, because of Matt.
She stifled her laugh and dropped her backpack to the ground beside her before she sat down. I wobbled toward her and sat there silently as I dropped my bag at our feet.

“Seriously though Des.” Katrina's voice changed as he eyes met mine, and I could see the hope building behind them. “What's going on between you and Matt?”

I sucked in a breath while folding my hands together. Once again, I met her bright emerald green eyes. I did know this was going to come up at some point, I just didn't want it to be so soon. I shook my head and nervously ran my fingers through the scalp of my hair. “I'll be honest with you Katrina… A whole lot has happened between us, but it's complicated.” I whispered letting out a shaky breath. I bit my lip and stared down at my little sister quietly, not knowing exactly how to put everything in words for her. “We're fine now though Katrina, that's all I can tell you. Matt and I are friends just like we have always been, and no matter how much I want that to change, I just know it won't.”

Katina frowned and leaned tiredly against me. “Not that I'm upset about it or anything, It's just, you should know that y'all are meant for each other, Des.” She yawned and cuddled closer to me, which was something she hadn't done in a couple of years now. She was getting older,  and she seemed to be wiser now, but, I could still see the tiny childish part of her when she cuddled up close to me.

“I've known that much since the day I met Matt.” She mumbled rubbing tiredly at her eyes.

To that remark I gave a small laugh and reached for Katrina's backpack. “Try to sleep a little bit would ya? You look all worn out, now you're speaking gibberish.” I scolded her playfully as I pulled a blanket from her bag. She glared at me with eyes hard as stone, but shook her head and ignored me as she took her bag away from me. Then she tiredly moved away from me propping her head on the backpack as if it were a pillow. Hey eyes slowly drifting to the back of her head as I threw the blanket around her.