Chapter 26

Then, Matt pulled the small black device out of his pocket. I had to refrain myself from swiping it right out of his hand, because even if I didn't want to, I had to trust that Matt knew what he was doing."Mission affirmative, sending reinforcements to rendezvous at your location." He attempted to lower his voice until it was unrecognizable. Then his eyes hesitantly met mine as he stuffed the walkie-talkie into his pocket.

"Where exactly is there location?" I whispered hesitantly, my quickening heartbeat pounding away at my chest."I have no idea." Matt shook his head seeming just as confused about the whole situation. "But, we have to get the hell out of here right now." He jerked his arm around my waist and ran, supporting my weight as I stumbled forward after him.

"We can't just leave her behind, Matt." I jerked away from him, and tried my best to ignore the hurt expression in his face. "I'm not dragging her all the way out here just to abandon her." I threw my hands up in exasperation, still trying to ignore the pain in my shoulder. Reaching for my shoes I pulled out my wrathblade and I ran, not knowing exactly which direction I was supposed to be going. Sure I was still dizzy, but Katrina needed me, and that fact couldn't stop me, not if my baby sister was hurt.

Matt pulled me by my good arm rather harshly, it was almost as if he didn't know his own strength.

"Hey, just be quiet and listen for a second." Matt whispered dryly, his hands shaking as he shoved me back behind the wide bushes to our left, then he threw his hand over my mouth trying to get me to calm down. I pushed him with my good arm, my pounding heart thudding against my chest, making it hard for me to breath as I stared at him in utter disbelief, seriously, what was all of that for? Smoothing down my wild hair I glared at him, but Matt didn't seem to care. He just shrugged, leaned forward and studied our surroundings silently, fully concentrated, even if I wanted to, I would not be getting his attention at that point.

Then I heard the soft patter of feet running, two pairs of them, they were both delicate, and small sounding. Matt's eyes widened as he stared through the green leaves, he seemed to recognize whoever it was standing there.Silently I crept beside him, trying to find out what the big deal was. As my eyes landed on the scene before me, I felt my mouth go dry, we had found her... Katrina. Loose ringlet curls flew around her face, as she was dragged tightly by the wrist. An older girl with strawberry blonde hair, tanned skin, around either seventeen or eighteen, was pulling my sister behind her with a deathly tight grip.

My heart rate quickened. I had no idea who this girl was, but from the look of it, she wasn't any help. I sprung up, tightening my grip around my blade, as I lunged in front of the girl furiously. Who was she? I mean, this was my sister we were talking about here, and and she was squeezing my sister's wrist so hard that it had left a dark, swollen bruise around the rim of her wrist.

"Get your hands off of her." I growled warningly, my eyes scanning the girl up and down.She was small, seeming not to have any sort of advantage on me whatsoever. Her light strawberry blonde hair was straight and long, falling all the way to the middle of her back. She seemed to be a mixture of Korean and caucasian, which made her eyes seem even bigger, with that deep green color that seemed so unusual. Even so, she was absolutely stunning, and hadn't Matt seemed to recognize her?

I shook my head to regain my thoughts, this wasn't the time to be getting all territorial over something that wasn't even mine.

"I'm sorry." The girl tilted her head to the side trying to catch her breath for a second, then she loosened her grip on Katrina's arm. "Who are you?"

I took a deep breath of air in order to calm myself down. I didn't want to attack someone that could potentially help, but another part of me was screaming, 'go ahead, rip all that perfectly straight, red hair right off of her head, you know you want to.' Though, I somehow managed to keep myself calm, as I forced a smile on my face. "I could be asking you the same thing." I replied in a even tone.