chapter 17

I didn't want to upset Katrina any more by bringing her to the place we'd lost Clarissa. Especially when she'd actually witnessed everything. I also knew I wasn't ready to go to Matt's house at the time, even when all our stuff was there. I'd have to wait till the morning to deal with all of that, but until then just maybe Katrina and I could have a break.
She took my hand and we followed the dirt path throughout the pitch black town silently. That probably would've been a problem a while ago, but thankfully I'd outgrown that years ago. It was too dark to see the worn down store buildings and small houses as he walked by, but I didn't care, I was only worried about whether or not I could handle where we were about to go. Or if they would blame me for everything that had happened and banish me from their home. It didn't seem like something that she would do, but what if she did think that it was my fault?

I nervously sucked in a breath as we turned the corner leading to the more expensive brick buildings. This was where most of our soldiers, doctors, and other high paying job workers lived. It was crazy to think that I had once lived in a house three times the size of the brick dwellings that are supposed "rich" homes. I bit my lip, forcing that meriory out of my head before any more were able to develop. Turning onto that gravel road, we probably pass by four different, but equal size brick homes until we reached the one we were looking for.

It was dark outside, which did make it harder to see the things in the yard, but I'd been there so many times that I already knew that the curtains were a tan color covering up the windows, and there were different types of plants standing on the outside of the window seal. The graveled sidewalk leading up to the front door was surrounded with flowers and the house had vines growing around it. Although I thought the house had a cozy feel to it, others may have thought it was unkept. Though I knew their house was actually meant to look that way, they had spent time working to make it look the way it did, and I thought it was absolutely stunning.

Before I knew it, we'd reached the front door and I felt myself panicking inside. What if she really did think that it was my fault, what if she never wanted to see me again after what had happened? What if I had lost her too, and it was all my fault. I shook those thoughts away from my head and slammed my hand against the door before I could back out. I knew she wouldn't think it was my fault, I was just being delirious. I knocked three times and then put down my hand. You could see a light turn on in the livingroom inside of the house, then the clink of a lock inside before the door creaked open.

There stood the living resemblance of my best friend, except with red hair instead of blonde. It hadn't been all too long since I'd last seen Ann, but it was enough time for her stomach to actually swell, speaking of which she was now about six months into her pregnancy. She look between Katrina and I curiously, her eyes seemed tired and her skin was pale. It seemed as if grief had taken full effect on her already. "Destiny? Katrina?" She began confused but forced a smile on her face. " I wasn't expecting to see you two any time soon. What brings you here?"

I let my gaze fall to the ground before I recollected my thoughts and let my eyes drift back up to her. "We're kind of having some trouble right now. I didn't know who else to turn too." I huffed wearily. "Are house isn't safe right now, and" I leaned forward whispering quietly into her ear so that Katrina wouldn't hear. "Katrina is kind of having some problems coming to terms with what happened." I told her and backed away.

Ann looked between both Katrina and I then have a weak smile. "You know you can always come to me, even now. You guys are like sisters to me." She pulled her arms around me tightly and afterward pulled Katrina into one as well. Then she just stared us down with a look of sincere happiness. "Well what are y'all waiting for? Get in here before you two freeze your butts off."

Katrina giggled and sprinted past Ann, almost knocking the poor girl over in the process. Ann regained her balance, and instinctively her hand went to her stomach protectively as a expecting mother would do. My eyes went over to katrina and I sternly called for her. "Katrina, get-" that was when Ann cut me off with a flick of her hand.