Chapter Forty

My eyesight is blurred. I can make out silhouettes above me, they're surrounded by bright light.

My body feels numb - an uncomfortable kind of numb. Like I have pins and needles on every inch of me.

I blink a few times until a clear picture comes into view.

"She's back!" A man shouts.

Immediately after he says this I hear shuffling about and mindless chatter, and I can feel hands all over my body - prodding at me and adjusting wires.

"You're in hospital. You're okay." He says. His words come out slightly muffled. It takes me a few seconds to realise he's a doctor.

"I'm Doctor Forsyth. Can you tell me your name?" He asks.

"Kaya Greyson." I say quietly, voice sounding groggy and hoarse.

"And do you know what year it is, Kaya?" He asks.

"2014." I say and he nods.

"Do you remember what happened?" He asks me and I just stare at him blankly.

"It's okay, that's okay." He says, holding a hand up to me.

I just nod at him as I'm unsure of what to say.

"Your heart stopped for a few minutes there Kaya." He says and my eyes widen in complete shock.

"But you're back now, you came back to us. You're okay." He reassures me.

"Zayn?" I ask. I need to see Zayn.

"I need you to rest at the moment Kaya." He says and I begin to panic.

"Where is he? Where's Zayn?" I ask again, sitting up a bit too quickly. Something starts to beep and I realise I've caused one of the wires connected to me to be ripped out as I moved.

My quick movement has brought back all of the immense pain in my body and it hits me like a ton of bricks. I quickly lie back down. My whole body aches, especially my leg. A nurse rushes over to me to re-attach the wires that were just ripped from my arms.

"Kaya please, I need you to calm down." The doctor says.

"Where is he?" I try to shout, beginning to feel nauseous.

"You're in pain. Relax." The doctor says and I want to scream at him for not telling me where he is but I just don't have the energy for it.

He hands me a small cap with some pills in it and a glass of water. I immediately swallow the pills down with the cold water. I feel the refreshing liquid slide down my throat and it feels amazing - exactly what I needed.

My eyelids begin to feel heavy almost instantly. I have no idea what the doctor just gave me but I feel high as a fucking kite. The pain begins to wear off as I feel like everything around me is turning into fluffy white clouds, including the bed I'm lying on.

I feel majorly relaxed as I close my eyes and settle into the clouds.

-

I open my eyes to bright light once again. I squint my eyes and realise that it's sunlight shining through the window - I must've slept straight through the night.

My body doesn't feel as sore as it did before I slept. It feels more relaxed, although it's nowhere near back to its normal self.

I catch a glimpse of movement out of the corner of my eye and I quickly snap my head around to see who it is.

As soon as I see them I can't stop myself from bursting into tears.

My mum and dad lock eyes with me and do the exact same thing. My mum sits beside me on the bed and takes me into her arms.