Chapter Forty-Five

I'm awake but I haven't opened my eyes yet. I just want to bask in the warm covers wrapped around my body for a little while longer. I stretch with content and roll over to pull Zayn closer to me but my arm falls upon emptiness. I open my eyes to find his side of the bed empty.

I glance at the clock on the bedside table, it reads 10:46am.

I sit up and rub the sleep out of my eyes before reaching for my crutch and pulling myself out of bed.

I stretch my arms and let out a yawn as I walk up the hall.

"Okay, I'll be there sometime today. Right. Thanks, bye." I hear Zayn's voice coming from the kitchen.

"Good morning." I say sleepily as I enter the kitchen. He's leaning against the sink with a mug of coffee in his hand. His hair is slanted to one side - probably from lying on it - and it looks like a squinty Mohican, but he still looks better than anyone should ever look in the morning.

"Morning peg-leg." He smiles, walking over to me and kissing me on the forehead. "Coffee?" He asks.

"Please." I practically groan, I don't function properly in the morning unless I get my coffee.

He pulls the seat from the kitchen table out for me and takes my crutch and helps me to sit down.

"Here." He says, sitting the coffee down in front of me. He puts it in my favourite mug which gives me a happy warmth in my stomach due to the fact I've never actually told him it was my favourite, I always use it and I guess it's just something he picked up on.

"Thank you." I smile, placing my hands around the mug to warm them up.

"The people working on the damage to the mansion called, said I could go pick up my stuff whenever." He says.

"What's going to happen to the house?" I ask.

"They said it's a mess. It's still a crime scene so the place is swarming with police officers and forensic investigators. Plus the fire brigade are there too because of the fire damage." He tells me.

He sits down at the seat across from me and there's a look on his face I can't read, annoyance maybe?

"So, apparently he has a wife. Or had a wife should I say. His will states that all his belongings are now hers." He says and my mouth drops open.

"His wife?"

"He was good at keeping secrets, I'll give him that." He shrugs defeatedly.

"My god. You think she knew?" I ask.

"Who knows? She could be as fucked up as him for all we know. Or she could be as in the dark as I was. I don't really care, I'm not sticking around to find out. I just want to get my stuff and never step foot in that house again." He says and I nod.

"I told them I'd be there sometime today to get my stuff. I'm gonna phone gran, see if I can crash there until I sort myself out." He sighs.

"Why don't you stay here?"

"I don't wanna intrude." He says and I laugh and give him a look that says you for real?

"First of all," I say, grabbing my crutch and standing up. "You intrude all the time anyway." I walk over to him, "I mean, you drink all of my coffee and eat all of my mini cheddars." I place a soft kiss on his cheek. "But, you also make a kick ass carbonara, so I guess it wouldn't suck to have you around."

"How about it? Roomies?" I ask.

"Roomies, huh?" He smiles. "I like that."

I raise an eyebrow and give him an expectant look.