Part 15

Manik : " You can on one condition."

Nandini : "What is that?"

Manik : "You will stop talking about dying all the time and think about living. You will take your medicines on time and take better care of yourself when I am not around you. When I am with you, I will make sure of that.

Nandini : "Ok"

Nandini held his hand and went to sleep. Manik wasn't that comfortable with that arrangement, but he agreed for her sake.

Manik was still awake and he was lost in his thoughts. When he had asked Nandini about her likes in the past, Navya had pointed to the bottom drawer on the side table and told that there was something inside that was the latest thing that Nandini liked. Manik didn't check it since Nandini stopped Navya from opening it.

One day, when Manik was looking for something else, he came across a scrapbook. He opened it and found his photos in it. He went through the book since it was related to him. There were a few things written too. Manik read it but hadn't taken it seriously then. It just looked like some lines from a poem or a movie song.

A few excerpts from the book :

Life was filled with darkness,
You came as ray of light
You replaced my nightmares
With dreams in the night

It was your magical touch
that changed my life so much
It evoked so many feelings which i never felt before
I felt alive, I felt safe and felt a lot more

I had heard and read that
Love is like this
And love is like that
But it was only after meeting you
I felt how really it is
You aren't with me
But you occupied my thoughts
And you occupied my dreams

After I met you, I felt I have to live
But how can a flower that has drooped bloom again,
It has to wither and die
It is too late now

I heard these lines today
Tujhe Dekha to Jaana Sanam
Pyar Hota he Deewana Sanam
Ab yeha se kaha jaye hum
Tere Baho me mar jaaye hum

This song is very old
But they say old is gold
I have a wish that when i leave my last breath i am in your arms
It is a wish that can never be fulfilled
I will have to be content seeing you in these photos, my thoughts and my dreams

Nandini had made this book and written these lines before she married Manik.

After his long conversation with Nandu, Manik realized that she had meant everything that was written in it. Manik didn't believe in love, so he didn't know whether he will ever be able to reciprocate it. But he had made up his mind that he would do whatever possible to keep her happy even if he felt uncomfortable. He would also try to give her a hope to live.

Manik had realized his importance in her life. He knew what she asked him wasn't her actual wish, he decided to fulfill her actual wish very soon that is to hold her in his arms every night. He didn't think of the consequences of his action, how it would effect his life in the future.

A few days passed,

Nandu : "You were mentioning about that land that was mortgaged. How much more do you have to repay?"

Manik told her the amount he had to pay. Nandu gave him the amount.

Nandu : "Take this and clear the debt."

Manik wasn't ready to take it.

Nandu : "Everything that is mine is yours. Similarly everything that is yours is mine too. Then why are you hesitating to take it.

Manik : "No I can't take this. Don't force me."

Nandu : "Consider this as a loan then. When Daddu gives you the money, you can deduct this amount from there. Why do you want to wait for long , what if something goes wrong and you end up losing the land?"

Manik finally agreed, payed the debt amount and got the land back.

Days were passing by. After Manik had assured her, his care and concern for her had increased. He did everything for her willingly unlike earlier. He made sure he spend more time with her. Nandini's health was also improving gradually.

Nandu was browsing the internet, she came across an ad about a contest. She read more about it and decided to talk to Manik about it in the evening.

Manik came to their room in the evening, Nandini was far away from the entrance of the room facing the cupboard. There was no way she could see him entering the room. Without even looking at the entrance,

Nandini : "You came early today."

Manik : "How did you know it's me without seeing?"

Nandini : "I don't have to see, I can sense you when you are around me."

After Manik freshened up,

Nandu : "Did you see this ad?"

She showed him the ad and Manik saw it.

Manik : "What about it?"

Nandini : "Didn't you tell me your band wanted to do something big? If you participate in this contest and get recognized, it will give the right platform for you guys."

Manik : "It will. But it isn't easy. There is not much time to enter."

He went on explaining the complexities involved in it. They all had there own jobs, so they couldn't concentrate on it full time too.

Nandini : "It wouldn't be that difficult either. You guys have been in it for quite sometime. There is less time to enter, but you will have time to practice for the actual contest. If you guys are willing to participate and get a song ready, I can get the remaining things arranged."

Manik : "Why do you want to get involved in all these?"

Nandini : " Because your dreams are my dreams too."

Manik : "Aren't you forgetting something? If we get selected, we will have to practice more too. It means I will spend the time I spend with you at the practice room."

Nandini : "I will be happy if you spend that time with me. But I will be more happier if you fulfill your dreams."

After a little more discussion, Manik agreed. He called his friends and informed the same. Everyone was willing to give it a try. They had to spend more hours together since there was less time.

It was quite late one day,so everyone decided to stay at Cabir's place which was close to their practice room for the night.

Everyone went to sleep, but not Manik. He was so used to sleeping with Nandini is his arms, he was missing her.

With time Nandini was snuggling more into him in her sleep and once Manik was more comfortable, he started to wrap his arms around her just as she wished. Manik got up and was thinking what to do. Cabir woke up and saw Manik wide awake.

Cabir : "Why didn't you sleep still?"

Manik : "I am not able to sleep. I am thinking of going home."

Cabir : "Oh..you are missing the comforts of the palace."

Manik : "No it's not that. I wanted to check on Nandini. It's too late to call so I thought I will go home."

Cabir : "Oh.. so you are missing Nandini."

Manik left from Cabir's place and reached home. He came to their room.

Meanwhile, Nandu wasn't able to sleep without Manik too. Finally, she managed to goto sleep having Manik's photo by her side. She was listening to one of his songs,which she had recorded, in a repeat mode.

Manik took the photo and placed it on the side table. He lied down on the bed, taking her in his arms. Nandini sensed him in her sleep and snuggled to him. With her beside him, Manik drifted off to sleep soon.