twenty-five

The pack reconvened at Scott's house

The pack reconvened at Scott's house. They gathered in his dining room, all of them hurting after the events of the day. Scott lost his mother and Chris, Malia lost Peter, Liam lost Hayden and Mason, and Lydia lost Parrish to Douglas's manipulation. Scott had his cell phone on speaker and he repeatedly called his mom, but he got the same response every time.

"The number you have reached is not in service. Please check the number or try your call again. This is a recording."

Malia looked at Scott sadly. "Scott, your mom is gone, but she's still alive."

"What do we do now?" Liam asked.

"We can't hide from them," Malia answered.

"Well, what about Lydia? The Ghost Rider was afraid of her," Liam stated.

"It wasn't fear," Lydia corrected. "It's...almost like reverence."

Scott shook his head. "Doesn't matter. The rift is gone. We're the only ones left in Beacon Hills."

Sheriff Stilinski spoke up. "I have a son. His name is Mieczysław Stilinski... But we call him Stiles. I remember. When Stiles was a little kid, he couldn't say his first name. Not sure why, it pretty much rolls off the tongue... But - uh - the closest he could get was mischief. His mother called him that until..." He shook his head. "I remember when - uh... When Stiles first got his Jeep. It belonged to his mother. She wanted him to have it. The first time when he took a spin behind the wheel, he went straight into a ditch. I gave him his first roll of duct tape that day. He was always getting into trouble, but he always had a good heart - always. We're here tonight because my goofball son decided to drag Scott, his greatest friend in the world, into the woods to see a dead body."

Scott looked stunned. "How did you remember?"

"It started with Stiles's jersey. Then, I found the red string for his crime board. Finally, his whole room came back, and all the memories. And then the strangest thing happened..."

"What?" Lydia asked.

"I thought I saw him. It's like something opened right there in the middle of the room. Just for a moment, and then it was gone," Sheriff Stilinski replied.

"A rift..." Scott mumbled.

"I thought there was only one rift. We saw it disappear," Malia retorted.

"You remembered Stiles, and then a new rift was created," Scott said.

"If the Sheriff can do it..."

"Maybe we can."

"But that rift closed," Liam objected.

"Then, we'll open it again," Scott decided.

"How?" Sheriff Stilinski asked.

"By remembering Stiles," Scott answered. "We have to remember everything."