To the Beautiful You: Episode 5

This is the episode where a powerpoint presentation will win you the boy of your dreams. Where it's okay if you scale the walls to sneak into your Oppa's room and sleep in his bed until he comes back. And just saying that you found a reason to want to do something again is enough for your coach to give you another shot. Because you can tell me your wish and somehow, we'll make it come true. Because this is Genie High.

Episode 5 trailed with a crushing 4.8% in ratings.

SONG OF THE DAY
Girls Generation - "소원을 말해봐 (Tell Me Your Wish)"

EPISODE 5 RECAP

Alone in the room, Tae-joon picks up the lighted bracelet, thinking back to when Jae-hee happily fastened it onto his wrist. He opens Jae-hee's laptop to find a presentation written for Coach Holton, the famous coach he'd hoped to work with.

As Jae-hee's voice recites how she hated that she looked different from her peers, we glimpse into what life in the States was like for her as an object of ridicule. "An ugly duckling doesn't turn into a beautiful swan in a heartbeat. Because in reality, miracles don't really happen."

But seeing Tae-joon jump, she started to believe that, "A miracle is just hard work by another name," Those words encouraged her to join the track team and the courage to stand up to others.

And though nothing had changed, she became her own miracle. With a final address to Coach Holton, she asks that he help Tae-joon fly again.

ae-hee bids goodbye to Sangchu, wondering if she was wrong from the start. Reading headlines about Tae-joon's injury, she decided to snip her hair and fly halfway around the world to see him jump again.

At the same time, Tae-joon recalls Jae-hee's persistence on seeing him high jump again and how that iconic phrase not only helped her get through her rough patches but also finish the marathon. He runs out.

Tae-joon catches her by the steps where they first met, grabbing her by the wrist. Out of breath, he asks if she really plans to leave without seeing him jump. He breathes, "Don't go, Gu Jae-hee."

The thought of the almost kiss leaves Eun-gyul scratching his head and Hyun-jae asks what the deal is. Eun-gyul hesitates a few times before he finally broaches the subject, "By any chance..."

He's got Hyun-jae's attention, albeit annoyed, and Eun-gyul says what if you wanted... to lock lips with a guy... They both stop as those words settle in awkwardly and Eun-gyul backs off to go to sleep. And then hilariously, Hyun-jae pulls up his shirt and puts on a sweater to cover himself.

In bed, Eun-gyul updates his status, "Life... is like an espress without any sugar." (He unknowingly makes this typo.)

Tae-joon nearly walks into the bathroom while Jae-hee is taking a shower, muttering how "Grungy" isn't being careful as a girl. He lets out a deep breath, thinking back to when he caught her in a towel. Inside, Jae-hee smiles at the thought that Tae-joon will jump again.

In the morning, Jae-hee ignores another call from Daniel and finds Tae-joon missing. Where could he have gone so early in the morning?

The answer is that he's busy training, suddenly have found a reason to high jump again. Clasping the ring on his silver necklace, he says, "You're going to keep watch over me, right?"

Tae-joon gives us a play by play of what it takes to clear the bar in high jump. The fancy display is cool but it seems like an excuse to insert some CG effects. As expected, his reality doesn't quite match up to his expectations and he looks at the fallen bar with a, Darn, didn't make it this time expression.