To the Beautiful You: Episode 16 (Final)

We all knew that this moment of truth would come; we just didn't know how painful it would be. In this final chapter, it's curtains on Jae-hee's charade and she'll need to jump the highest hurdle yet: reality. And just when you think she's alone in all of this, we see that there are those willing to put their own necks at risk to protect her. Sad as it may be, it's time to close the gates to Genie High.

The series finished off its final week with 4.1% and 5.2% ratings for its last two episodes.

SONG OF THE DAY

f(x) – "Beautiful Goodbye"

FINAL EPISODE RECAP

Morning breaks and Jae-hee wakes a still-groggy Tae-joon out of bed. She's even prepared breakfast (no Wheaties?) with a nice large glass of milk to wash it down with.

Just because the boys are now frenemies (in the nicer sense) doesn't mean they let up any at practice, working harder than ever. They share tips on how to jump higher and better, a sight that makes Coach Baek smile.

It's a small moment but Tae-joon makes a mental note of Hyun-jae's worn-out jumping shoes.

Jae-hee employs Doc's help to learn a thing or two about giving sports massages for Tae-joon. Then Doc asks if the binding on her wrap still gives her trouble. She informs him that she's gotten used to the constriction – an answer that earns her a noogie.

I love how Hanna dolls up prior to Seung-ri's arrival and then puts on her normal snobbish air in his presence. She pretends that all the little things still annoy her (though they clearly don't), even saying that his words give her goosebumps.

Seung-ri: "Only if they were just words. But I'm being genuine." Aw.

He didn't have enough time to prepare a joke today but he has heard an interesting rumor that there's a girl in his dormitory. That's news to Hanna, whose eyes grow wide, and she asks what he'll do about it.

Seung-ri shrugs and figures that he'll have his dorm train shirtless to confirm whether it's true. Is there an extra seat on that training bus?

Hanna yells that they can't do that, using the excuse that they'll catch a cold that way. Seung-ri interprets this as concern for his health, a thought that makes him smile.

Going for the sight gag today, he dons a wig (she waits expectantly) which gets her to burst out laughing, "You're so ugly!"

Er, it's not exactly the reaction he was expecting, and he stammers in response, asking if she meant it. She nods, still dying of laughter. Don't worry Seung-ri – HeadsNo2 still finds you beautiful.

The rumors continue to swirl around campus and Tae-joon tells Jae-hee not to worry about it and mutters, "No matter what happens, I'll protect you."

Jae-hee smiles in return, telling him that she won't and just trust him. I'm thinkin' you should probably worry a wee bit – it is your secret we're talkin' about here.

The conversation turns to Eun-gyul, and Jae-hee frowns that she hasn't seen him around, nor has she reached out to him lately. Jae-hee mumbles aloud: "I must be a bad friend."

Tae-joon tells her that Eun-gyul will slap on a smile even if it's still hard for him and advises her that she leave him be for now.

So you wouldn't think anything was off when they run into him later and Eun-gyul cheerily invites Jae-hee out shopping. Not one to be left out, Tae-joon tags along.

As they peruse the store, Tae-joon shows Jae-hee a pair of shoes that he picks out. She finds it strange that he orders a pair in a size too small for him and he comments that they're for someone else. Aww, are those for Hyun-jae?