7

A few weeks later and there were no bouquets of flowers or threatening emails. I knew that this definitely wasn't the end; I hadn't even done anything big. I simply stood at a window and then left earlier than usual. There had to be something bigger that would happen soon.

It was Saturday and Alexander and I were just leaving the office. I was feeling much better now; once in a while, I would get some morning sickness, but it was nothing serious since I would never get fevers. Alexander was also feeling much better, and it seemed like everything was normal and perfect in the world. 

Of course, that was until he said, "We're going to Italy, Florence. I have some important business meeting there and my parents coincidentally decided to go on a trip there as well, so we will be meeting with them. Get packed, the plane leaves tonight, and we'll arrive early morning in Florence tomorrow."

 With that, he simply left to his room, as if he just said the most normal thing ever. 

This was definitely not normal on any standards. We never left the country together ever. Once, we when we were dating, we left for Hawaii, but that was it. And that's still in the country. Even our honeymoon was spent in the country. We never did these things! My husband also tried to keep business meetings within the state; or at least within the country. 

I nervously headed to my room and began to pack. I had no idea what to expect. I'd never been to Europe, and I didn't know what would be expected of me as Mrs. Vasilievna. I packed some outfits that I thought would be suitable for Italy and a day with his parents. 

Mr. and Mrs. Vasiliev were good parents. I met with them a couple of times before we were married, and then a few times after that. They were very sweet but extremely uptight. They were formal and wanted everything to be done perfectly and with elegance and class. Nevertheless, I admired them, especially Mrs. Vasilievna. 

She gave up everything to become the perfect wife to her husband. She sacrificed her own job, her family and her dreams to gain her husband, and I admired her for that. He treated her with respect and care, and she was basically a queen in his eyes. 

Soon, I had a suitcase packed with the essentials and was waiting for my dear husband in the living room. I was reading a book when he came down with his suitcase. Seeing him descend down the stairs in a black suit, carrying a black suitcase and a black shoulder bag made him seem like those men on the cover of a rich magazine. 

"Let's go, Maria." He didn't take my hand, but instead took my suitcase, which was good enough for me. 

When we were nearing the airport, he began to explain the trip. 

"Tomorrow morning I have a business meeting, and I will go alone. I do not want you in a foreign country alone, so you will spend the day with my parents, and then I will join you in the evening. The next day we have to ourselves, so we will tour the city of Rome. The last day, I have a business meeting in the morning in Venice, so you will spend the day with Jordan Jonathan's family. He will be in the meeting with me, and he does not want his family alone either. Afterward, we will go out for dinner, and leave Venice at night. Understand?" 

I nodded. 

We finally reached the airport and I just followed Alexander while a man pulled our luggage behind us. I had no idea what was going on. Alexander would hand in some papers and get some in return, and then he signed a few things here and there. Soon, we were already sitting on the plane. 

The pilot announced our flight and then the sweet flight attendants showed us the safety procedures. The engine roared to life and all of a sudden I felt a little afraid. I only had Alexander here with me and I wanted to feel him, to be sure that he was still here with me.