Chapter One

They eventually settled in a bay near some caves. Jemma jumped down from the boat and spread her arms for Dan and Stan to be placed in them.

She slowly settled the two on the ground. "This is your home, boys. I'm sure you're going to love it."

Jemma smiled as the twins giggled and ran through the trees. She watched Harold jump down, landing lightly on his feet.

"Your home is about twenty minutes from here. You can ride behind me and I'll take you there." Harold nodded, and went to go sit on Socks.

"WAIT!" Jemma lunged forward. "It might sound ridiculous, but you need a password."

Harold sent her a questioning look. Jemma smiled. "Whisper in Socks' ear 'How do you do?' and she'll let you ride her then."

Harold shrugged and whispered in Socks' ear. Jemma smiled as she watched his confused expression and sat down in the saddle, waiting for Harold to do the same. He wrapped his arms around her waist, and she nodded encouragingly. "It's okay. She's just a special Ranger horse."

Socks gave her a look and she giggled, leaning forward to whisper, "You know what I mean. Now stop, we don't want to freak Harold out."

Socks snorted.

She called out to Hal. "Can you get Ulf and Wulf to look after the kids? I'm going to take Harold home. Sapphire will probably stay with them too."

Hal nodded. 

"Thanks Hal. I owe you so much."

He shook his head. "Don't worry about it. It's my pleasure."

Jemma led Socks away, Harold bumping slightly awkwardly behind her. 

When they arrived at the village, Jemma gasped at the sight. "What happened here?" Harold asked, almost in tears. He jumped down from Socks, stumbling slightly, then raced to the scene. Houses and shops were destroyed. There was ash everywhere.

"There's been a fire. A very big one by the looks of it." Jemma said gravely. Harold started to cry.

"My family..."

"It's okay, Harold." Jemma said, getting down. She wrapped him in her cloak as she pulled him close. "I'll look after you."

She looked around once more. "Looks like the people who took you might have taken a few others."

...

When they arrived back at the campsite, Jemma immediately sent Harold to get some sleep.

"I thought you were bringing him back to his village." Hal questioned.

"I did." Jemma sighed. "It's gone."

"What?!" The Herons cried softly, not wanting to disturb the children.

They crowded around to listen to what she was saying. "The entire village has been burnt down. There's nothing left. I think that the people who took Harold might have taken a few other kids as well. They must have locked the doors and left the adults to die."

"Oh my god." Lydia said softly. "Poor Harold."

Jemma nodded. "I'm afraid that returning to the others may have to wait. I would like to take a detour and solve this mystery, if that is okay with you all?"

The group nodded. "Of course. We aren't going to let people get away with this." Stig supplied the answer.

"Thank you." Jemma nodded. "Now, tomorrow morning, I think Lydia and I would be the best ones to go check the area out..."