Chapter 10

The numbers 23 meant 11 o'clock. However, the words 'glow paint' made little sense. I had successfully sneaked out of the dorms, claiming that I had left my jacket as well other important utensils in the Wastelands and needed to retrieve it. Either the Security was stupid, sleepy or didn't care, because she allowed me to leave without prodding any further.

The locomotive was a lot more spacious and quieter when I stepped inside. An eerie glow almost seemed to take over the cabinet at the unexpected quietness. The only constant sounds the locomotive made were rhythmic chugs as the locomotive sped across the city and when the doors screeched open with a sigh of relief. However, I wasn't going to jump this time since no one was watching. Instead, I slipped out of the cabinet the moment the locomotive had stopped completely.

The next locomotive will arrive at 12:45. The speaker droned. I quickly memorized the three numbers before slipping out of the locomotive station.

Glow paint. As if that made any sense at all. If Lyla were here, she would've figured out that clue a long time ago. I internally groaned. Sometimes I wished that I was smarter than what I was now.

A scuffling sound disturbed my trail of thoughts. A small group of cloaked people were expertly weaving their way through the Wastelands, attempting to be subtle as they skirted along the path. This was exactly what someone would do if they were attending a secret meeting.

It was certainly worth a try. I followed behind them, stopping when they stopped, moving when they were moving. I almost cringed at the screeching sound of sheared metal when they entered the makeshift door of the house. The roof was a sheet of dented rust, and the nails were ripped off its hinges as it dangled dangerously from the top. Still, I didn't have much of a choice. I squeezed through the rusty door that was just wide enough for one person to fit through.

Shadows and whispers filled the air. I tensed and mentally readied myself for the situation ahead.

"This is no place for a young lady. You're not welcome here." From the intimidating height and bulging muscles, I could guess that this was the security guard in charge of protecting the Revolution. I held my head high, my brain freezing in its tracks as I scrambled for an excuse to enter.

"Well? What're you waiting for? Get out." His voice was serious and razor sharp. When I didn't budge, he grabbed me by the collar and almost threw me against the wall. "I said, get out!"

"Glow paint," I gasped, the only two words flashing across my mind.

He lowered me to the floor roughly. "What did you say, young lady?"

My confidence was coming back as I stared back steadily. "I said, glow paint." I enunciated each syllable with sheer confidence and determination that the security guard took a few steps back in surprise.

"You're new here?" He grasped my shoulder tightly. "The Revolution, I mean."

I exhaled a breath of relief. "Yes, I'm here for the Revolution."

"Go forward and turn right. You'll reach a massive round table. Find yourself a seat and make yourself comfortable. Otherwise, you'll have to stand." He patted me on the head. "Have fun."

I nodded and followed his instructions. Sure enough, a dimly lit room that could house over 30 people appeared. My mother was amongst them, debating intensely with other people.

Her eyes instantly lit up in relief when she spotted me idling amongst the crowd. Perhaps she thought that I wouldn't show up. "Arista! Come here!"

She hugged me tightly as if I would disappear any minute. "This is my daughter, and she'll be helping us on our mission." The rest of the group stared back at me sceptically. The air was tinged with sweat and other unpleasant smells. Perhaps to them, I smelled too clean. I mustered a sincere smile to greet the others.