Chapter 22

Friday

I picked up a random gun, firing one target after the other. Despite almost hitting bullseye in every shot, it wouldn't help in any real life situation when I had never held an actual gun before.

My patience was gradually leaking away. I already had another training session to attend tonight and I had barely gained sleep yesterday. It was a miracle that nobody had questioned my dark circles or zombie like state.

When I muttered the passcode and left the simulation, Matthew raised his eyebrows before tucking his Tabloid into the pocket of his ripped black jeans.

"You're done?" He crossed his arms, the black and white tattoos beneath his skin stretching slightly.

"Yeah," I shrugged nonchalantly. There was no point in practicing if I could never get my hands on an actual gun.

"You've been slacking off lately. If you don't want to fail, you need someone to assist and motivate you in your studies." He continued, swiping a finger across his Tabloid.

"I don't need anybody to assist me," I replied stubbornly, lifting my chin up in defiance so he could see my hard and confident hazel eyes.

"According to the other tutors, you've been slacking off in their lessons as well. You should find someone who attends the same lessons as you and-"

"I'll do it," Kyle interrupted, running a hand through his chocolate locks. "I'll help her out, Matthew."

He eyed us suspiciously, finally noticing that the pairing was of different genders. "Fine, but I don't want to see any inappropriate footages caught on camera. Try not to charm each other, if you get what I mean."

I rolled my eyes and said, "Yes, Matthew." while Kyle replied in a mockingly serious tone, simultaneously saying, "Rest assured."

"Both of you are good kids that just happen to be in a bad situation." My smile froze in place, his comment was borderline accurate to my current situation. "I'm just hoping that you can get each other out of it, especially you, Kyle."

Kyle's expression hardened and he nodded stiffly. "Yes, Matthew."

------

"So," Kyle handed me a bottle of water, which I drank it down greedily since I had just finished my 3 km run. "When are we going to practice?"

"After I cool down," I gasped, leaning against the cool metal wall. "Then we can practice."

"You really shouldn't overexert yourself," Kyle commented, absentmindedly handing me a towel.

When my heart had finally calmed down, I inhaled deeply once more before fixing a smile towards him. "I'm good. So what do you want to do now?"

"Want to sneak out?" Kyle smirked, his expression as innocent as day if it weren't for the smug smile plastered on his face.

"Sure." I grinned, feeling a rush of exhilaration course through my being. I had only sneaked out on my own, but not with someone else. This was going to be exciting.

We casually strolled around the corridor until Kyle swiped a finger across his Tabloid and pushed open a door that was camouflaged to look like it's surrounding walls. When the door silently opened, he exhaled a sigh of relief as he stepped inside, sending me a stern look to tell me to keep quiet.

"No questions," He stated firmly, keeping a grip on my arm as we tip toed our way down the faded concrete staircase.

He swiped at his Tabloid again and pushed through another oak door, revealing a vast and rectangular room composed of gritty carpeting and slabs of wood. Actual targets and guns were lined up against the wall, their weapons polished and gleaming under the shaft of light along with the faded colors of the targets.