Chapter 27

Wednesday

The bullet hit home. That was three times in a row. I lowered the gun, drunk on exhilaration at my achievement. Behind me, Kyle clapped, obviously satisfied with my performance.

"You're amazing at this. And combat too. Guess I was wrong." He scratched the back of his neck awkwardly. "Is there anything you aren't good at?"

"Academic stuff," I grinned, stretching my lips to the maximum. "As long as I don't revise, I fail."

He then blinked, his face breaking into a grin. "Me too."

"Well, you're good at all the physical stuff. Definitely better than me." I stated as Kyle did a mocking bow, locking his eyes on me playfully.

The moment was so sudden and so awkward that neither of us had any idea what to do. Kyle took tiny steps forward until we were inches apart. Slowly, he brushed his fingers across mine as jolts of electricity shot through my fingers, but it wasn't the horrible type that made you shudder. No, it was the most strangely pleasant and comforting feeling that left tingles that spread through my body like a wildfire.

Slowly, he intertwined our fingers together, squeezing them together gently. My mind was finally catching up to the scenario. Instantly, I snapped out of my reverie, twisting my fingers out of Kyle's grip and fidgeting with them awkwardly. "I guess we're both good at some stuff and bad at other stuff."

He then snapped out of the trance, the glazed look in his eyes clearing away. "The word stuff is a bit too vague. We need a word that's more specific."

I feigned an uppercut and jabbed him in the side. He twisted out of the way, avoiding his one weak spot. "You should always be careful with the stuff you're bad at," I smirked as I slowly advanced on him, mimicking a predator hunting its prey.

"Oh, no you don't," he growled, bouncing on the balls of his feet. Using this moment to my advantage, I jabbed him in the side and tickled him. Instantly, he fell to the ground, curling up into a fetal position. It felt good to tower over Kyle when he was the one who always towered over me. Generally, it always felt good to beat Kyle and be on the upper hand.

"You've gotten some sleep today," He happily noted, studying my slightly more radiant face. "It looks good on you."

"The term 'Arista beating Kyle' looks excellent on you," I smiled sweetly, hastily brushing away his comment. "It makes you look like some-"

"What did you just say?" Kyle growled as he grabbed me tightly until my head was pressed up against his chest.

"I said, it makes you look stupid." Kyle glared at me while I stifled a snort that threatened to escape from my lips.

"What did you just say?" He growled, applying even more pressure onto my stomach.

"That you look stupid," I giggled. Then, I wormed my way out and started to sprint, hearing Kyle's footsteps from behind.

"It's not funny!" He yelled from behind as I forced my legs to pump faster, not letting Kyle catch me.

------

You'd better come today. Lots of food supplies. Oliver texted.

Sure. Be there at eleven. I replied.

"I have to go out again," I whispered to Lyla. "Help me cover."

"Wait," she whispered. I enviously watched as she scrolled through multiple feeds that she had access to. If I had her programming skills, I would've been a much more helpful asset to the Revolution. Finally, she stopped on one particular footage. "See that?" My heart dropped. It was Kyle, standing at the Institution exit, a spot which was impossible to avoid if I wanted to leave properly.