Chapter 35

Sunday

Everyone was dressed up in slightly more formal attire. As the Merge members embraced their parents with tears and unfinished promises, it was obvious that this was an actual goodbye.

Unsurprisingly, Arista found her father in the crowd, his bronze hair gleaming under the sun. She rushed towards him, embracing him in a tight hug.

"It's good to see you," She mumbled into his shirt, and for the first time in this month, she felt safe and secure, like she was at home.

"It's good to see you too," He replied, his voice gruff from the strain in their relationship.

"How's mum holding up?" Arista caught a glimpse of Natasha, happily reuniting with her parents.

"She's doing just fine." His arms tightened around Arista before a teasing smirk appeared on his face. "What about you? Any boy trouble lately?"

Arista let out a shaky laugh, allowing her mind to briefly run through the good days between her and Kyle. "You have no idea." She squeezed her father's hand affectionately. "But it's all over now, so you don't need to worry." This was a happy reunion and goodbye, she reminded herself, not one filled with tears.

"I'm glad." He then smiled, although it didn't quite reach his eyes. "Just know that we'll miss you, even though you won't be here. There's always a spot for you at home."

"Thanks, Dad," Arista choked down another round of tears. This truly was the last time she would ever see her parents, where they would hug and kiss her lovingly. "I love you."

"I love you too, honey." His voice was gruff again as he chewed on his lip. Even though Arista would forget them, she knew that they wouldn't, and that was what hurt the most.

"Time's up! Please proceed to the Technology Lab. We would also like to take this time to thank all the parents that showed up. Please remain here to receive our thank you gift." Arista's arms unintentionally tightened around her father's; Her voice lodged inside of her throat.

"What's wrong?" His bushy eyebrows furrowed.

"Just be careful, okay?" Arista answered; Her voice muffled by her father's t-shirt.

"Sure honey," He smiled.

After bidding their parents goodbye, the Merge members slowly sauntered their way to the technology lab. The tense atmosphere silently coiled around the air like a curling snake, accompanied by the sombre footsteps and hollow echoes that followed.

"Please step into the compartments when I call out your name," William announced. Lyla and Natasha shared a mutual glance, one in fear and excitement. Everyone else was tense, frightened and possibly excited. A new beginning, a new era awaited for these eleven groups of teenagers.

"Lauren, Isabelle." The two girls slowly stepped forward, stepping through the mahogany doors. Five minutes later, a hissing sound emitted through the closed compartment. Thirty-five minutes later, William stepped back out, hair immaculate as ever.

"Rosaline, Victoria." The two girls stood up shakily as they stepped through the towering doors. Five minutes later, the same hissing sound emerged, and thirty-five minutes later, William stepped back out, strands of hair sticking up from his once perfectly gelled hair.

"Andrew, Jeremy." The pair stepped forward to enter the doors. As more and more people entered, the awkward tension seemed to tighten even more, suffocating the remaining members with its deafening silence.

"I'm scared," Natasha whispered. "What if there's a monster in there?"

"Out of all the chances of getting killed, we're getting killed by a monster?" Arista's eyes were still red and puffy from crying, but she still tried to maintain a sense of good humour.