Chapter 26

Tuesday

"Don't just use your hands and legs. Use all of your joints, especially the sharp parts. Your elbows, knees and shoulders." I rolled away just as Kyle sent an intended swipe towards my lower abdomen. This time, I used my feet to hook his ankles the floor, sending him crashing to the ground.

"Supposedly, that's when I knock you out," I teased lightly. He mustered a smirk on his face, but it disappeared as quickly as it came.

"No sign of Lauren?" He asked, wiped away some sweat on his forehead.

"Nope. She's probably still at the Security, handcuffed and drugged." I stifled another yawn, pushing down the fatigue and exhaustion that had accumulated for the past few days.

"You're getting pretty good." He ran a hand through his brown tousled hair carelessly. "The combat stuff."

"What about the gun stuff then?" I asked, casually unscrewing the water bottle lid.

"At least you don't look awkward with it anymore," He joked lightly, mimicking my 'chicken' pose.

"Haha, very funny," I retorted, slugging him in the arm. "I don't recall someone cringing every time I press the trigger."

Kyle glared back at me, although it was nothing but playful. "It was a reflex."

"Yet I don't do that. Care to explain?" I grinned, taking advantage of the argument.

"Since I cringe when you press the trigger, that means I have better reflexes than you, which proves that I'm a better fighter," Kyle concluded with a triumphant gleam in his eyes.

"Are we just going to keep bickering until the lesson ends? Otherwise, we'll be bickering for a really long time," I emphasized. Truth be told, I wouldn't mind bickering for a little longer. The entire event was just too fun to pass up.

"Will your parents be coming on Reunion Day? It's a Sunday," Kyle asked, casually taking a sip of water.

Reunion Day. Where our parents would see us one last time before bidding us goodbye. What an ironic term for such an event.

"My dad probably will. What about you?" I replied, guzzling down my water a little too quickly.

"My dad will definitely be there," He nodded mockingly, the hints of a smile curving up at an inside joke.

"You sure?" I questioned, unnerved by the way of how he had said 'definitely', in such a certain and confident yet unsettling manner.

"101 percent," He replied, still smiling to that inside joke of his.

A yawn escaped from my lips, and I hastily raised my hand to cover it, but Kyle had already spotted it, his eyes narrowing in suspicion.

"You can't lie to me. You've been missing lots of sleep." Kyle suddenly accused, looking into my exhausted eyes with a scrutinizing and piercing stare that only he could create.

"True," I smirked, brushing off his intimidating stare. "But I don't regret it."

"Nobody wants a walking zombie. So either you get some sleep today, or I'm going to drug you with sleep serum," He threatened, his mouth turned downward in a disapproving frown.

"You're joking." I grinned at him, then watched his serious eyes intensify to the darkest colour of chocolate. My grin dropped. "You're not joking, aren't you?" I added bleakly.

"I'm serious. I'm worried about your health. Whatever reasons you have to deal with, it's unhealthy. It makes me worry." His adam's apple bobbed, his eyes intensifying even more, his eyebrows furrowing, trying to figure me out.