Epilogue

To: Anthony

As the head of the Merging Process, I'm here to ask you about your condition. How does it feel to be the first generation of merged members? How would you describe your life being merged? Please state all of the side effects and feelings that you have. We had a lot of theories, and it would be great to confirm all of them with a real prototype. What advice would you give to the next generation that would undergo the same process? Feel free to be straightforward and honest. Your reply will only be read by me and no one else.

William

------

To: William

It feels like I'm starting a brand new era. I feel ahead of everyone else like I'm living in the future. Every sense within me feels heightened, and I feel powerful like I have no limits. My life being Merged is interesting since it's split in two; One in which I am active, and the other where my partner is. I don't remember what he did when I 'wake up', and he doesn't remember what I did when he 'wakes up'. We each can be alert at a certain time phrase, and then we black out. I call that process 'phasing'. In a sense, the two of us have a connection. I can sort of sense his presence, like an intruder in my head just as he can sense mine. There are abilities which I am certain that I didn't have before and were instead replicated by my partner, like the ability to play instruments.

One downside to the Merging Process is instability. It was difficult to find a balance between my consciousness without having my other override mine. This makes socializing and communicating really hard. People often send me strange looks and I have no idea why.

Another downside is the side effects of this process. Sometimes you can be stuck in your body, unable to move, unable to talk, and only able to observe your surroundings. Sometimes, fighting over dominance creates massive headaches or an inability to focus.

Overall, I feel different. I might not remember anything, but I believe this life is the best one the Republic can offer me. If I were to give advice to the next generation, I would tell them to stay in control and maintain a good balance with their partners; Stay in control of your body, and know when you should give up or when you should fight for consciousness. No one can stay awake for twenty-four hours, so choose carefully. I hope this information helps.

Anthony

------

Anthony rubbed his temples, the sickening feeling crawling over him again. The world flashed black before returning to normal. A numbing feeling spread across his brain, threatened to lull him to sleep. Not now! He still had to send the letter to Teresa and log off before his other realized what was going on.

Too late. The overcrowding dominance overwhelmed Anthony as he slumped to the table, using the last bit of his energy to exit the window on his Tabloid.