10.

When Ryan woke up that morning he felt as if he'd been thrown in a dumpster. That was on fire. In another dumpster. That was on the sun.

Ryan felt like shit. Shit that was on fire.

He pulled himself up out of his bed and got ready for the day anyway. Instead of his usual outfit, which would normally be black paired with another color, was just fuzzy PJ pants with an oversized black hoodie.

When you feel like you're sick and you really can't miss school, you tend to hide the fact that you're sick.

Ryan did not, as he knew his parents really didn't care. When he walked down to the table to get breakfast, Maya and Farkle were already there.

Ryan sat at the table and dropped his head onto Farkle's shoulder.

"You're right, Topanga. This table is about the discussion of today's events only. Riley," Cory turned to his daughter.

"I woke up, I love everything, I sat here," Riley said with a smile as bright as sunshine. Ryan rolled his eyes and grabbed a piece of toast before getting up from the table to put on his shoes.

"All caught up! Googly time!" Cory turned on the TV. Everyone began singing the theme song except for Ryan and, for some reason, Auggie.

The tv shut off and the occupants of the table complained. Ryan turned to face the table while still putting on his shoes.

"I'm too old for Mr. Googly," Auggie said, walking over to the couch. Ryan observed this exchange, curious. Ryan believed that he did have to grow up quickly, but that was because he cut himself off from his emotions early. Something about people needing affection in order to live or whatever. Auggie, on the other hand, did not.

Cory followed Auggie. "But, Auggie, Mr. Googly's your best friend." He picked up a Mr. Googly doll and voiced the character, holding the doll up to hide his face. "Auggie, I'm your foogly boogly best friend!"

"Can I tell you a secret?" Auggie asked the doll, clearly fooled. Ryan smiles. He knew whatever was going to happen next wasn't going to be good, but it would be entertaining.

"Of course. You can tell Mr. Googly all your secrets."

"I have a new best friend now."

"Oh? Who?"

"I don't wanna tell you who she is," Auggie revealed. Nearly the whole room gasped, "She?"

Auggie, realizing his mistake, left the conversation. "I've said too much."

Cory tries to keep him there. "Okay, why don't you tell Mr. Googly all about your new best friend and none of us will listen." Everyone turned their heads away from Auggie. Auggie looked at Ryan who just shook his head.

"I'm this many," he held up one hand, "I'm done with you now. Goodbye." Auggie picked up the doll from his father's hands and left the room.

While everyone looked at Auggie in disbelief, Ryan grabbed his backpack and walked out the door.