36.

It's ok. This had to be a misunderstanding, and Jeremy did want to be his boyfriend. He just wanted to talk about it. 

Yeah.

Right? 

Ryan set his lunch tray down on the table next to Sarah and her friends. 

"I don't know what to do."

Sarah raised her eyebrow at him. 

"About you and Jeremy?" Ryan's head shot up. 

"How do you know about that?"

Sarah shrugs, "I know a lot of things. More importantly, I know what you should do."

She stood up and walked behind him. She grabbed the back of his chair and tipped it over. 

"Talk to him."  Ryan stumbled over to where Jeremy was sitting. 

Thanks a lot Sarah. 

"Hey," Ryan said, gripping at his shoulder. "Can we talk?"

Jeremy nodded and left the table, his friends watching them with sad eyes. 

What did they have to be sad about? Ryan was the one who found himself in a stupid situation because of his own dumb assumption. 

"So," He started when they reached the empty hall outside of the lunchroom. 

"So," Jeremy awkwardly continued. "Why did you think that we were dating?"

"Oh. Well, we went to the dance as a date, right?" 

Jeremy nodded. "Yeah, but after that we didn't go on anymore dates?"

"No, but I just assumed with how comfortable you were with how close I was with you. .. " He awkwardly trailed off, avoiding looking him in the eyes. 

"Yeah, I get that. I'll admit, I don't act the way I do with you with all of my friends." He sighed. "I'm really sorry Ryan, but I don't think I'm ready for a relationship right now."

Any hope he had was immediately crushed. 

"Oh." Ryan gripped his hands together and stared at his shoes. 

"It's not that I don't like you!" Ryan's eyes shot up to meet Jeremy's at this. 

"It's just, we're thirteen, dude. We have no idea how dating is supposed to work. Or at least, I don't. And relationships shouldn't be the biggest thing we're worried about right now. Right?"

Yeah. 

"Right."

"I'll see you later, ok?"

"Yeah."

Right. 

Jeremy walked away, and when he heard the door close, Ryan slid down the wall and wrapped his arms around his knees. 

The door opened again and Ryan didn't look to see who it was. 

Farkle sat down next to him. 

"Are you ok?"

"Yeah." Right? 

"It's ok if you're not. Breakups can be hard." Farkle put his arm around Ryan's shoulders and Ryan leaned his head on Farkle. 

"Do you want me to bring you any food? You didn't eat lunch."

"No. Food would only keep me alive."

Farkle chuckled. "That's the goal, man."

"Is there any cake in the cafeteria?" 

"Only muffins."

Ryan rolled his eyes. 

"Fucking perfect."