39.

Ryan had successfully avoided his parents and the bully all weekend.

Fighting had kind of ruined that.

Ryan had been walking to the cafeteria for lunch, planning on meeting Farkle there. On his way, he saw the same low life that had cornered him that weekend bullying another kid.

Wow. Wonderful.

Ryan could hear that loser's words from where he was standing all the way down the hallway. Now that he was on the outside of it, he saw how weak that guy looked. Picking on someone who was weaker than him rather than doing anything else with his life.

He got angry.

"Hey, loser!" The guy looked up and narrowed his eyes. Ryan walked forward, hands in fists at his sides.

"Oh hey, queer," He sneered. Ryan grit his teeth.

"Back away from him. Don't you have anything better to do with your life than pick on kids smaller than you?"

"This is what I do with my life. I'm here to make sure you fuckups know your place."

Ryan felt the anger pool inside of him.

The guy still hadn't moved away.

"Leave. Him. Alone."

"Or what? Oh," He laughed in a condescending manner. "Is this your boyfriend? Is that why you're doing this? You're here to-"

Ryan had had enough.

He grabbed the guy by his shirt and threw him away from the kid he was cornering.

"Leave. Him. Alone. I'm not gonna say it again."

"Oh. Ok."

--

"Fighting? Ryan Alan Matthews are you kidding me!"

3-day suspension. That and a swollen cheek paired with a split lip. Those were the consequences for fighting the bully.

"We are so disappointed in you! Ryan, we expect better from you. You've had so many good examples in your life! And you ignore all of that to start a random fight and get in trouble?"

"If this is your rebellious phase I'm just going to have to shut it down right now."

"Why would you even fight in school? Why would you fight at all."

"We just want to understand."

All Ryan heard was noise.

They didn't want to understand, they just wanted to yell. They didn't care that he was defending a classmate. They didn't care that he was being bullied, or that this wasn't coming out of nowhere.

They didn't care that he was bi.

Well, that was unfair.

They didn't know.

They didn't know any of it.

"Are you even listening?" Topanga shouted. Ryan rolled his eyes.

"Don't you roll your eyes at me!"

--

He was grounded. Indefinitely. 

They couldn't lock his window, at least.

if I published another story, would y'all read it? It wouldn't be for gmw