Ch. 5- A Hot Day

I was told many stories growing up, mostly from my Mother. She loved to read and is currently working on her memoirs from what she experienced. She has never let anyone, not even Father, read it. Not until she is finished, she says. What I learned from these stories is that everyone makes mistakes, even the hero. And some of those mistakes are lethal and unforgivable. It is the reason why I don't get why I am forgiven for what I did. 

A man died because of me. He died because he got too close to me. Because I lost control and I will never come back from that. He will never get to see the Summer Solstice or celebrate this birthday or live forever. Max will never this chance because I murdered him with my bare hands. He was my boyfriend for a year and a half and it all ended that terrible night that seemed like months ago. The night where he got too close and I turned him into ash. His screaming still haunts me that I wake up drenched in sweat. I will never be the same again. 

Vampires, Fae, and Werewolves alike showed up on the streets of Ambrosia to celebrate this new holiday. The different vendors had food to eat and there were games everyone could play. It was for everyone and looking around, it made me happy. To see everyone together and not at war with each other. The Fae that was here was mostly compromised of Mab and the ones that fought beside my family in the Great War. They stuck around for my Mother and Uncle and for us, who needed to learn more about our powers. The Fae was kind and taught us a lot, which I am truly grateful for.  

"Hey, Princess!" yelled a male voice from across the street. From what I can tell, he was a young werewolf with shaggy short black hair and tanned skin. His muscles popped out of his shirt and he was holding two plates of unknown food. He ran over to me and once he was standing in front of me, he dazzled me with a big smile. "You look like you were starving."

I gave him a slight smile, tilting my head to look up at him. He was about a foot taller than me and I hated it, whoever he is. "Sorry, I don't accept weird food from boys I do not know."

The male tipped his head back and laughed. Then he looked straight at me again. "Fine. My name is Jesse and if you must know, Princess, I am distantly related to Thomas." He looked at the plate of food in his hands, pointing. "And this is what I call proper food in my eyes. You have barbeque ribs, potato salad, and macaroni and cheese from yours truly. I made it myself and I promise it is not poisoned." 

I eyed him closely, then looked down at the plate of food. I realized I was starving and I needed some kind of food in my system, even if it was this weird food. "Why does it look so messy?" 

He opened his mouth in surprise. "You wound me, Princess. How can you say something so awful about the food that you haven't even tried?" 

Jesse stared at me a little before I replied. His eyes were bright blue, almost grey, and I had to look away quickly. "Fine. I will try this food but only if you guide me to where no one could stare at me while I eat. Believe it or not, people are terrified of talking to me and my brother." I took the plate of food from his hand as we started walking out of the street. 

He laughed and it made my very soul shake from the sound. "Very well, Princess. And who would be frightened of a beautiful woman like you?"

"You know, if you are going to compliment me, you are going to have to learn my name first." I said. We sat down on a bench as there was a red cover placed on top of it. Jesse sat across from me and he took a bite of his food. He moaned loudly at the taste of his own food and it almost made me laugh. He was so much like a Wolf. 

As he swallowed, he looked me in the eye again. As if he didn't want to take his eyes off of me. "I know your name. But I would like to choose what I call you if we are to have a friendship. If you like." I finally took a bite of this cheesy mess that he called macaroni and cheese. It weirdly tasted good and I wanted more of it. "I told you it was good. You should have believed me."