Ch. 19- Closer Than They Appear

Elora

Sebastian and I walked into the kitchen, where Kalama and three others were sitting at the table. Usually, the only ones who came here were the cooks and maids. But it looked like my fiery daughter kicked them out so she could eat without prying eyes. I smiled mostly to myself at the thought because of the way she was similar to me. 

Kalama sat next to the infamous Jesse Davenport, whom I healed only a few weeks ago. He was tied by an interesting circle of fire around his wrists. She must have down that to him so he wouldn't escape and attack us. Good thinking. He had both of his hands clasped together so he wouldn't burn, but he didn't seem to be in pain. The other two who stood in the kitchen were Kellan and his son, Dakota. Both of them had their arms crossed and staring at Jesse as if they were going to murder him in his sleep.

I almost rolled my eyes at the sight.

I stared at both of them with a lethal glare. "Would you please stop staring at Jesse like he's your prey? And note that I asked nicely." I sighed, walked around the table to face Kalama and Jesse, and gave them a small smile. "We got it from here, you two. Thank you for helping her find Jesse." I said without looking at the two males that were sort of bodyguards to Kala. Sebastian silently followed me, an unreadable expression on his face.

Kellan and Dakota stiffened, looking from Jesse to me. Not knowing what to say or do. This time, I clenched my jaw. "Have you gone deaf? I said please leave so I can have a conversation with my daughter and her companion."

"Of course, Your Majesty." Kellan remarked. He strode out of the kitchen like a snake, along with his son. I waited until he closed the door behind him before I turned toward the two others sitting in front of me. It was an island of sorts that they sat at where the elegant kitchen equipment stood behind me and Sebastian. The refrigerator full of human food stood closer to Sebastian and the pantry of food was on the other side of the room.

I pulled a chair out and sat down on the other side, not wanting to stand any longer. My hands were clasped together, eyeing Jesse Davenport as if I could read him fully. He was related to Thomas which made me wonder how, exactly, did he get into my mother's web. "Mother, I know what you're going to say." Kalama started to say. I turned to her and she had an apologetic look on her face. "I should not have gone on my own and found him. I shouldn't have brought him back here in our home but it was the only place I can think of."

"That was not what I was going to say." I said. "I am glad you found Jesse because I was going to do it myself. And that would have ended terribly."

Sebastian sat next to me now, turning to me finally. As if he did not expect me to say it. "And I, would be the reason why it would end terribly." He stared at Jesse now, his eyes darkened with fury. "No one hurts my daughter and lives. Yet, here you are, in my kitchen. In my home. I hope you know it is taking everything in me to not rip you apart with my bare hands."

"Dad!" yelled Kala. "Stop it."

He was about to reply but Jesse interrupted him. This conversation has made me wonder where it would go that I didn't want to say anything. "You need to believe me when I say I never wanted to hurt Alli." Jesse held Sebastian's gaze as he took a breath. "It was Eva behind her kidnapping. But not a day goes by where I don't regret what I did. Surely you know that she threatened my family. And I would do anything to protect them. I know you would do the same thing, Sebastian."

I stifled a laugh. This was getting heated and the fact that Jesse called him by his first name instead of his formalities made me was to laugh uncontrollably. Sebastian's jaw clenched as he glared at Jesse. He only continued, both Kala and me wondering what he was going to say next. Jesse was like that, I suppose. Even though he was technically on my mother's side, I did like him. And Kalama might be thinking the same thing. "If I am to be on your side now, which is what I was originally on, by the way, I need you to do something for me."