Chapter 2

"Serena wake up!"

The words sound so distant. I try to ignore them, but my sister refuses to be ignored.

"WAKEUPWAKEUPWAKEUPWAKEUP!!!!!!!!!!!!!!"

I finally open my eyes and glare at Bonnie. I watch as her pout turns into a plucky, satisfied grin.

"C'mon! You can't be late on your first day!"

"Why are you doing Mom's job," I whine. I'm still half asleep.

"Mommy's busy with breakfast."

"What about Clemont, where's he?" I ask standing up. I make my way down the hall to the bathroom stumbling along like a zombie.

"At the library," she says tagging along. Bonnie's never been thrilled about being alone. She always looking for someone to talk to or play with. Usually, I don't mind, except in the mornings. You'd think after the years we've spent together, she'd know that by now. 

I wash up in the bathroom, wondering what high school would be like. I was hoping for a fresh start. But I knew that wasn't the case. They'd find me again. I just...

"Do you think that boy will be there this time?" Bonnie asks and I snap out of my thoughts with a jolt.

"Uhh, what boy"

"You know... THAT boy"

I stare at Bonnie like she's a Martian or something. Then it clicks. 

~~~

Years ago I met him at summer camp. We were only six at the time. He was so full of energy I found it overwhelming at first, but he was kind to me. One of the only friends I had. 

I remember our last day together.

"Serena"

"Yeah Ash?"

"When I become a trainer I'm gonna go to Kalos and find you. Then we'll travel together.  And we'll be best friends forever"

"I can't wait" I'd said softly, trying to hide my blushing.

We parted ways that day, hoping we'd see each other again.

That hope died.

I lost touch with Ash for years but never had completely given up on seeing him again. 

I was on the couch when my phone suddenly rang. I didn't recognize the number. I answered.

"Guess who!"

"It can't be!"

I heard a familiar voice chuckle over the phone. "It's been a long time Serena"

"Y-yeah Ash"

"So guess where I am right now"

That's a random question... "I don't know. Where?"

"Lumiose City"

I literally stopped breathing. This couldn't be real. It was too good to be true.

"Uhhh, Serena? You there?"

"YOU'RE ACTUALLY HERE!!!!"

It was like I could feel his smile through phone. "Yup! I should be in Veniville Town tomorrow."

"I can't believe it..."

"What? You didn't think I'd forget the promise we made."

"But we were just kids..."

"So? A promise is a promise."

"Ash, you're the best."

"I try"

We both laughed and continued to talk throughout the evening. It was wonderful to hear his voice again, but I was even more excited to finally see him. Hope coursed through my veins and even after the call ended, I couldn't stop smiling.

But then it happened.

I say "it" because I don't actually know what "it" was. All I know is that Ash didn't show up the next day. I called and called. I must have left at least 50 voicemails. But nothing.

I felt tears come into eyes. Maybe something happened. Something must have happened...

Or maybe he just didn't care anymore.

I sprinted to my room and bawled for the rest of the night.

I was right. It was too good to be true.

~With Ash~

I'd never slept on a park bench until last night (and I never want to do it again). My back was sore and stiff. I groaned as I rose to get up. My hat had fallen off in my sleep. I already knew my hair was a mess. I could feel it drooping down close to my face. I've never been the type to obsess about that though. I grabbed my hat and looked to my left. Pikachu yawned and stretched sleepily. 

"Chu-Pika?"

"I'm ready."

And with that we started our greatest challenge yet...

High school.