Chapter 5

After all these years, I'd finally found him again. I felt warm and safe in his arms. I pulled away to look him in the eye.

"I guess I owe you some answers, huh," he said softly. He avoided my gaze and suddenly the anger I'd once felt vanished. It was obvious guilt pained him. The smile he'd worn was gone.

"I'm not sure where to start," he said, looking up towards the ceiling.

He sighed and turned to look me in the eye.

"I got stopped on the way to Vaniville Town" he finally said.

"How?"

He went silent for a bit. His eyes darted about the room as if the answer to my question was scrawled on the walls.

"I'd rather not talk about it," he replied. "But I didn't want to leave you. Things just got...messy."

I was utterly confused. I thought I would get a less cryptic answer.

"I'll tell you the rest eventually. Just not today."

"But..."

"I'm sorry Serena. That's all I can say for now."

I frowned. I hated that one of my best friends was keeping secrets from me.

"You cut your hair," he said smiling, trying to touch on a lighter topic.

"Yeah. I decided it was time for a change."

"I like it."

"Um, Ash... I need to ask you about something else."

"Shoot."

"How do you know Paul?"