Prologue 

A tiny child, no more than the age of ten was curled into a ball against the farthest corner from the door of her cell. Tears streamed down her face and her clothing was flimsy, shredded and holed. A multitude of scars are visible all over her body, beginning just at her wrists, all the way to her bare ankles. The girl whimpers with every movement. She squeezes her eyes shut, praying to wake up from this horrible nightmare. She wants to go home, with her Mama and her Papa, who will always keep her safe. But she is so far away, so so far away. And she is a mere child, an innocent, defenseless child.

The sound of a gun breaks the girl's concentration from her prayers. She gulps. Connor Pierce, the name she had learned of her torturer stands behind her, a gun hidden in the back of his hand. However, she sees it. The man wickedly smiles, sending chills through her bones and the urge to sob and cry.

But she must remain strong. She cannot give him the satisfaction that he wants. She knows her time is up. The night begins to fall, she would have lived another day. She looks into to the stars which shine with promise and hope. Pierce cocks his gun, she really is dead. She's going to die here, all alone with the man who haunts her dreams every day and night.

She tries to get up from her sprawled position on the floor and does her best to ignore the pain that shoots through her. She will not, and must not give him the satisfaction that he so desperately wants.

Pierce holds the trigger just over her temple, a clear indication that he is not going to hold back. He's smiling, he's going to enjoy this. Dread seems to grow in the pit of her stomach as she waites for the trigger to be pulled, for the bullet to sear through her brains, for the pain. Ever since HYDRA kidnapped her she's learned that pain was something that was going to always be with her.

But then, two figures who the girl can only hope are a hallucination form. She whispers as her eyes bulge in shock, "Mama? Papa?"

This can't be real.

Oh my child, but it is.