Chapter Nineteen: Realization

The drowsiness had overcame my body that night, making me appear like a sluggish, hysterical mess

The drowsiness had overcame my body that night, making me appear like a sluggish, hysterical mess. My mood had been completely demolished from the emotional strains, leaving me completely empty and saddened. There was nothing more I could really do, but try to get over him at this point.

I mean, hell, I just lost my job because of that fucking night. The night that I was completely oblivious to who he was and what he could do to me. The night when I gave into the burning lust without any hesitation.

"I'm such an idiot," I mumbled to myself, picking my head up off the couch and feeling some fresh tears running down my face.

The front door jolted opening, revealing a cackling Aviary who balanced her cell phone between her shoulder and her ear. She had her briefcase in her hands, agreeing with someone on the other line before drawing her eyes up and connecting with my weeping ones.

I gave a half-assed smile, knowing it probably looked like a grimace.

"Let me call you back," Aviary said through the phone, clicking the end button and walking over to me with a sympathetic expression.

She engulfs me in a hug, antagonizing the ever flowing tears to begin the water falls again. The weak tears were absorbed by her business-formal dress, making me feel sort of bad. But she continued to rub my back and whisper that everything was going to be okay and that James is just an asshole. I seemed to drown her out though, lost in the own sorrows of my head.

Sure he was an asshole, but he made me feel things nobody has ever made me feel before.

My lip quivered at this and I released even more tears, before sitting up out of the hug and pressing my hands over my face. The sparks were gone. The butterflies were gone. This weird feelings of passion was gone. My heart was gone.

"What happened today, Am," Aviary inquired with this tenderness in her voice, the volume barely above a whisper.

After a moment, I withdrew my hands, and sniffled some of the tears back. I gazed at her with my tear stained face and exhaled a deep breath, not able to look at her caring eyes for more than two-second intervals.

So I explained the situations of today, mostly gazing down at my hands and having this emotionless tone to my voice. Aviary's concerned eyes were planted on me, seeing her eyebrows quirked with frustration, similar to my feelings.

Aviary scoffed and shook her head when I told her he was going to fire me, "he's not going to fire you." There was this reassurance in her voice, this confidence, that he wasn't actually going to have the guts to go through with it.

"But Av-"

"No, Amelia," She shook her head, "Even if you stopped going to his offices, he wouldn't tell Vanessa everything that happened. He wouldn't do that to you."

I sighed and ran a stressful hand through my hair, hoping that she was right. He had to have felt something for me right? It wasn't all just one sided all the time?