Episode 11

Appointment in Samarra

Death: Dean, Dean, Dean. What do you think the soul is? Some pie you can slice? The soul can be bludgeoned, tortured, but never broken. Not even by me.

Death: Don't roll your eyes, Dean. It's impolite. Now, when you fetch my ring, put it on.

Dean: What?

Death: I want you to be me for one day.

Dean: Are you serious?

Death: No, I'm being incredibly sarcastic.

Dean: I'm trying to save your life!

Sam: Exactly, Dean! It's my life! It's my life, it's my soul. And it sure as hell ain't your head that's gonna explode when this whole scheme of yours goes sideways!

Tessa: Wow. They'll just let any slack-jawed haircut be Death these days.

Dean: Well, you're all charm today, aren't you?

Robber: Why?

Dean: Mostly because you're a dick. Enjoy the ride down, pal. Trust me, sauna gets hot.

Dean: Give me a break. I've spent my whole life fighting that crap. There's no such thing as destiny, just like there was no apocalypse, just a bunch of stuck-up mooks who didn't want us human slaves asking questions. Well, I say the little girl lives.

Tessa: Do you know what's amazing? You don't actually buy a word you're saying.

Hilary: I-I can't just leave him. It's not fair!

Dean: I know.

Hilary: Well, then why?

Dean: Because... There's sort of a-a natural order to things.

Hilary: Natural order is stupid.

Dean: Well, I agree with you there.

Death: I think it's a little more than that. Today, you got a hard look behind the curtain. Wrecking the natural order's not quite such fun when you have to mop up the mess, is it? This is hard for you, Dean. You throw away your life because you've come to assume that it'll bounce right back into your lap. But the human soul is not a rubber ball. It's vulnerable, impermanent, but stronger than you know. And more valuable than you can imagine. So... I think you've learned something today.

Death: We're done here. I's been lovely. But now I'm going to hell to get your brother's soul.

Dean: Why would you do that for me?

Death: I wouldn't do it for you. You and your brother keep coming back. you're an affront to the balance of the universe, and cause disruption on a global scale.

Dean: I apologize for that.

Death: Now, Sam, I'm gonna put up a barrier inside your mind.

Sam: No, don't touch me.

Death: It might feel a little... itchy. Do me a vour, don't scratch the wall. Trust me, you're not gonna like what happens.