Episode 20

The Man Who Would Be King

Castiel: I remember being at a shoreline, watching a little grey fish heave itself up on the beach. And an older brother saying, "Don't step on that fish, Castiel, big plans for that fish." I remember the Tower of Babael, all 37 feet of it, which I suppose was impressive at the time. And when it fell they howled, "Divine Wrath!" But come on, dried dung can only be stacked so high.

Castiel: And of course, I remember the most remarkable event. Remarkable because it never came to pass. It was averted by two boys, an old drunk and a fallen angel. The grand story, and we ripped up the ending, and the rules, and destiny, leaving nothing but freedom and choice. Which is all well and good, except... but what if I've made the wrong choice?

Crowley: Don't worry about- what, like Lucifer didn't worry? Or Michael? Or Lilith or Alastair or Azazel didn't worry?! Am I the only game piece on the board who doesn't underestimate those denim-wrapped nightmares?!

Bobby: If there's a snowball of a snowball's chance here, that means we're dealing with a Superman who's gone darkside, which means we've got to be cautious, we've got to be smart, and maybe stock up on some kryptonite.

Dean: This makes you Lois Lane.

Castiel: I did it to protect the boy, or to protect myself. I don't know anymore.

Castiel: Freedom is a lenght of rope. God wants you to hang yourself with it.

Castiel: Explaining freedom to angels is a bit like teaching poetry to fish.

Castiel: Are you joking?

Raphael: Do I look like I'm joking?

Castiel: You never look like you're joking.

Crowley: See, problem with the old place was most of the inmates were masochists already. A lot of "thank you, sir, can I have another hot spike up the jacksy?" But just look at them. No one likes waiting in line.

Castiel: What happens when they reach the front?

Crowley: Nothing. They go right back to the end again. That's efficiency

Crowley: What are you planning to do about Raphael?

Castiel: What can I do besides submit or die?

Crowley: Submit or die? What ar you, French? How about resist!

Castiel: Sam, I am the one who raised you from perdition.

Sam: What?... Well, no offence, but you did a pretty piss poor job of it.

Castiel: You don't understand. It's complicated.

Dean: No, actually, it's not, and you know that. Why else would you keep this whole thing a secret, huh, unless you knew that it was wrong? When crap like this comes around, we deal with it... Like we always have. What we don't do is we don't go out and make another deal with the Devil!

Castiel: It sounds so simple when you say it like that. Where were you when I needed to hear it?

Dean: I was here. Where were you?

Bobby: Well, who do you deal with?

Redd: The Dispatcher, a demon named Ellsworth.

Castiel: If there was a demon counterpart to Bobby Singer, Ellsworth would be it.

Castiel: Whose Heaven is this?

Raphael: Ken Lay's. I'm borrowing it.

Castiel: I still question his admittance here.

Raphael: He's devout. Trumps everything.