Chapter 2: Dream Beans

My mother and- he's not my father, he doesn't deserve that title; he shall henceforth be known as Him- sit down in the living room. She jumps up to make some coffee, leaving me and Him to talk.

I take the opportunity to observe him while he sits across from me. His hair is the same black, but with noticeably more gray than the last time I saw him. His skin is more tan, but other than that nothing has changed.

He begins timidly, "So.... how's school?"

How's school? He doesn't deserve to come in here and act like he is my dad! But I don't say any of that, instead I say, "Fine."

He doesn't attempt conversation after that. I may not have said anything, but I am pretty sure my contempt is written all over my face. My mom comes back in with three mugs shortly. Coffee for them, hot chocolate for me. Extra marshmallows. She's telling me to play nice.

"So, what brings you back to town?" I can tell my mom is nervous as she asks this. She's tapping her pink nails on her mug and staring into space. Her auburn hair falls over her shoulder as she looks down at her coffee, the same shade as mine. Looking at the two of my parents sitting there gives me a strange feeling of deja vu.

Not one to beat around the bush, he responds, "Well, I figured it was time to come back, I've changed and now we can be a family again."

I almost choke on my drink. A family? He thinks he can just saunter back into our lives and pretend everything is normal? I remember when he left. I kept asking where he had gone. My mom insisted he had left for a sudden work trip. But that night I found her crying when I was supposed to be in bed. The next morning the police showed up. I wasn't stupid. I knew what had happened, even if my mom would not reveal the whole truth to me for another few years.

"Oh, well that's great," my mom says meekly.

Great? Someone has to stop this, and evidently it has to be me.

"Great? No, it is not great! You think you can say a few words and come back into our lives? Well, you can't. You left us by ourselves to take the fall for you and didn't even bother to say goodbye. Do you know what we had to do to get this house, not to mention the money to pay off YOUR debts? We built up a life without you. It might not be as luxurious as before, but it is ours and it is happy. And you can't take that from us. I won't let you!"

Both of them are left in a stunned silence.

Just then, I hear a knock at the door.

"If you'll excuse me, I have somewhere I need to be. I'll let you see yourself out."

With a meaningful glance at my mom, I storm out of the room and slam the front door behind me.

Out the door and fuming, I rush past Amy on the steps midsentence.

"Hi, Lizzie." I can see the confusion on her face. But instead of asking she just shrugs as if to say, "Oh, well".

I sit in the passenger side of the car and slouch into my seat. After staring at me in confusion for a few more seconds, Amy follows suit.

"Eager are we?" She says in a teasing tone.

Eager for wh- oh, for that. I totally forgot about Flynn with the sudden reappearance of Him.

"Uh...hello, Earth to Lizzie?"

" You know, I was thinking, I'm not even sure I like him all that much anyway, how about we skip all that and go get...some ice cream?"

Even I can hear the nervous undertone in my voice.

Amy shoots back, "Oh no girl, you are going to go out there and get the guy. It's my last day in town before I go to my grandparents' house in Florida; I need something fun to think about. Besides, ice cream? In December?"

It was worth a shot.

Shortly afterwards we pull up to Dream Beans and she parks the car. "Now, remember our plan. Do not adlib for any reason whatsoever. Understand?"

Her speech has done nothing for my nerves and suddenly, I have entirely lost the ability to speak. So, I settle for a brisk nod.

"Go!"

I step out of the car and turn back to look at my smug friend. So proud of herself. I stick my tongue out at her, and open the door to the shop. I can totally do this.

I mentally coach myself to walk. I get about halfway there before I freak out. Who am I kidding? I can't do this! But, it's too late, Flynn's looking at me now, he smiles and waves politely.

No, no, no! I look around quickly for a way out. There! In the booth to my right is a dark-haired boy. He is currently reading a book and hasn't yet noticed me. I slide into the booth with my back to Flynn.

"Hey babe! Sorry I'm late!" I raise my voice just enough that Flynn can hear me.

The boy across the booth raises his eyebrows and opens his mouth to say something.

"Shh, pretend to be my boyfriend. Please? I will pay you back later." I hiss all this under my breath, just loud enough for him to hear.

He raises one eyebrow and smirks at me before saying, "No worries, babe." The last word comes out with a teasing emphasis and I can't help but be amused with his response.

Before I can say anything else, I feel my phone vibrate.
Amy: Lizzie, what are you doing?????

I put my phone on silent and return to the boy in front of me. When I am not freaking out, he actually is quite good looking.

I whisper across the booth, "Hi, I'm Elizabeth Fisher."

He smiles and replies, "Alex Rhodes."

Yep, I think this will work out just fine.