Ino's Placement - Ino

"Sensei?"

Kakashi looked up from his sake and his book. He was surprised to see Ino Yamahana standing next to him at the bar. She must've actually come looking for him since it was pretty late in the evening.

"Hey, Ino. Is everything okay?"

"I... I don't know. I have to ask you, why did you cover for me at yesterday's exam? I'm clearly not a better healer than Sakura."

"Oh, have you already received your placement?"

"Yes, I'll be going to Tenchi to study under an Elite Healer."

Kakashi took a sip of his sake.

"Good! Congratulations, Ino."

"Not good. Lady Tsunade will be expecting a healing level that I can't do."

"No, she's not. She knows I helped you through your exam yesterday. It was set up that way. She doesn't care."

Ino looked at him in disbelief.

"Then why even have an exam?"

"It was more for the High Elders. Tsunade wanted as little conflict as possible in getting you to Tenchi."

"So, I was never going to stay in the village?"

"Nope, for a couple of reasons. There really isn't much of a gap between your and Sakura's skills; you just lack confidence. Tenchi doesn't need another good healer who's willing to learn, they need a great botanist who's willing to learn. What sets Tenchi apart from other villages is their location. They are located at the mouth of the Tenchi River, which makes the soil very fertile. They are able to grow practically anything there, so the land is used to grow a wide variety of medicinal herbs. One of their botanists was just married and left. You could be a great asset to them."

"What's the other reason?"

Kakashi finished his sake.

"Can't tell you. Not yet."

She sat there staring at the bar top. Kakashi turned to her.

"Ino, You will do a great job. Lady Tsunade wouldn't put you in a position you couldn't handle. So go home and get some sleep; I'll be escorting you to Tenchi in the morning. I'll explain the rest tomorrow."

Ino looked a little more relaxed.

"Thanks, Kakashi Sensei. I'll see you in the morning."

"Goodnight, Ino."

He caught her blushing as she turned to leave. She was almost out the door when Lady Tsunade entered. Kakashi heard Tsunade laugh.

"Ino, you're apprenticeship starts tomorrow! Go home and get some rest!"

Ino bowed deeply.

"Sorry, Milady. I just came to speak to Kakashi Sensei. Goodnight, ma'am."

"Goodnight, Ino."

Tsunade came to sit next to Kakashi.

"A sake, please. And actually, leave the whole bottle."