Double Life - Naruto

Naruto came downstairs to find that he wasn't the only one awake: Kakashi sensei and Mizuka were sitting at the kitchen table already, steaming cups of tea in hand. The last stair creaked, making them both look up. Mizuka spoke first.

"Good morning, Naruto."

"Good morning Mizuka, Kakashi Sensei."

Kakashi Sensei nodded good morning stiffly to him. His sensei looked rough. He looked really uncomfortable in the chair and he had his elbow on the table, which looked like it was keeping him upright. He was covered in bandages and he looked to be in some pain sitting there with the pink-haired healer.

"How did you sleep, Naruto?"

"Pretty good, actually. Sensei, should you be out of bed?"

"Don't worry about that; come have a seat."

He sat down at the seat his sensei pulled out, and Mizuka handed him a cup of steaming tea as well. He blew on it and continued his questioning.

"So, Mizuka, how long have you known Kakashi Sensei? You two seem to know each other."

Mizuka laughed.

"I've known your Sensei for a long time. We went to the academy together and trained together, but we lost touch until about 7 years ago, when he literally showed up at my doorstep almost dead. We've kept in touch since."

"Wow, that's-"

"KAKASHI SENSEI! What in the hell are you doing out of bed? Twelve hours ago, your abdomen was on the outside of your body! And Mizuka Sensei, you're just going to let him?!"

Ino came flying down the stairs in a fit of worry and anger, skidding to a stop in front of Kakashi Sensei.

"Ino, I'm fine-"

"The hell you are! You can barely sit up! Back to bed!"

Naruto expected his sensei to put up some sort of fight, so he was surprised when he pushed his chair back and allowed Ino to help him back to his bed visible in the doorway across the room.

"Please, Kakashi Sensei, stay in bed until you're better."

"Yes ma'am."

She side-eyed him as he said this before turning back to Mizuka.

"Where's Rock Lee?"

"He's outside training-"

Ino ran out to find her teammate before she could even finish her sentence. She sighed as her student took off.

"She gets that from me. I know she does."

"Are you really Ino's sensei?"

"Yep. She trained with me for two years before Tsunade called her back. She's a great healer. And her confidence has skyrocketed, as you can tell. She's very popular here for her bedside manner. I really just think the shinobi like when she bosses them around."

"Like Kakashi Sensei?"

Mizuka laughed.

"Kakashi already has someone to boss him around. He doesn't need Ino to do it."

Naruto didn't understand that comment.

"Wait, wha-"

But Mizuka was already in the bedroom with Kakashi, sitting on the edge of the bed.

Naruto stood in the doorway.

"What was that about?"

His sensei sighed deeply.

"Ino thinks I'm too stubborn to seek medical care when I need it. Or to take care of myself when I'm healing. Even if we are in the hub for healing arts. Mizuka's not going to let anything happen to me."

Kakashi Sensei ran a hand through his hair. Naruto didn't think he'd ever seen Kakashi Sensei without his gloves on and-

"Kakashi Sensei, is that a wedding band?"

His sensei froze in place, shock overtook his face.

"Ummm... Well...."

Mizuka stood up and had to turn away to contain her laughter. His sensei sighed again.

"Well, I guess the secret's out. And it really doesn't matter anymore. Team 7 is no longer under my care."

Kakashi Sensei, propped up on a stack of pillows, reached his hand out to Mizuka. She took it and sat down, brushing a hand lovingly across his face.

"Naruto, I'd like you to meet my wife. Mizuka Hatake."