Gratitude

Astoria and Draco arrived in the foyer of a dark and imposing house. Astoria was curiously taking in her surroundings, while Draco warily looked around.

     "You should take your shoes off." Draco suggested.

     "Excuse me?" Astoria responded, slightly appalled.

     "If my parents only hear one set of footsteps, they'll assume that I'm the only other person here instead of coming downstairs, discovering you, and assuming that we're engaged."

     Astoria chuckled slightly, saying, "I can certainly understand that."

     "Why, you've smuggled a man into your house before?" asked Draco as he led her to the kitchen.

     Astoria smiled and chuckled again, replying, "Of course not. I meant about your parents wanting you to get married. The only reason I left my house today was because my mother expected me to go out and talk to people my age, specifically potential suitors. But it isn't that easy . . ." Astoria trailed off and images of mangled bodies and screams filled her mind.

     Draco stopped walking to look down at Astoria. "I know. " he said. Astoria looked back up at him. She's so small, he thought, she can't be my age. "You must have been incredibly young during the battle of Hogwarts," he said. Slytherins always got their answers in an indirect way. Every respectable pureblood knew it was rude to ask a lady's age.

     Astoria stole a glance at Draco and replied, "I believe we were all very young when such we witnessed such terror. But I was younger than you were, only in my fifth year. "

     Draco could barely believe such a young-looking girl could be over twenty, but by then they had reached the kitchen. Politely opening the door for Astoria, the two stepped into the cavernous room that was the Malfoy kitchen.

     "It used to be full of house elves," Draco said, "but Father dismissed every single one. He said they were a nuisance, but I think he got rid of them for a different reason."

     Astoria wondered why he would bring up such an obscure subject. Looking up at Draco, she asked, "What would that reason be?"

     Draco looked expectantly at Astoria. "Reminder of a more . . .prosperous time." He saw that Astoria understood and handed her a scone that was sitting on the table.

     "Why did you bring me here, Draco?" Astoria suddenly asked.

     Draco hesitated. "You wanted to know what I could see in your head."

     Astoria chuckled again. "We both know you can do better than that."

     Draco sat at the table and Astoria sat so close they were almost touching. "I know that neither of us really have anyone besides our own selves. But something about your presence . . .comforts me. Reminds me of hope. Like you say, people like Daphne, they lie to themselves and everyone else. You reminded me today that they are others who face reality. You don't try to forget the past like all the others. Thank you for that."

     Astoria had never heard anyone from Slytherin house thank anyone for anything, much less Draco Malfoy. Lost for words, there was a silence as the two stared into each other's eyes. Unfortunately, that silence was broken soon enough.