The Dead of Night

Draco guided Astoria through the garden and sat next to her on a stone bench, far from the prying eyes of his parents.

     "What brought you to that place, yesrerday? You said you didn't want to talk about it."

     Astoria looked up at him and sighed. "I suppose I'll have to tell you eventually anyway . . .but please, don't think differently of me."

     Draco nodded and gave her his full attention.

     "Here goes," she said, breathing deeply. "I was . . .in Diagon Alley with my mother and sister, before my fifth year started. Buying books and whatnot. Then death eaters came, tearing up the place, and Daphne and my mother disapparated, but one of the death eaters grabbed me."

     Draco could see her shaking and hear her voice cracking, but he dared not stop her.

     "He disapparated to the river, probably because it's so close to the where Voldemort was, but still to far away for anyone to hear me cry for help. Then . . ." Astoria trailed off.

     "You don't have to continue," Draco said softly.

     "No. I have to finish, Draco. I've never told anyone, and if I'm going to be honest about it to anyone, it's you."

     Tears were now silently rolling down her cheeks, but Draco knew better than argue with her.

     "He took advantage of me. I tried to  fight it. I kicked and screamed. He probably didn't enjoy a moment of it. After a few minutes he dragged me back to Diagon Alley, spit in my face, and left. My mother found me, took me home, and assumed I was fine. I was shipped off to school for two more years after that, and now I am here."

     Tears were now streaming down Astoria's face, and she shivered in the hot, humid night. Draco shifted himself closer to Astoria and embraced her.

     "Breathe," he told her. "No one will hurt you here."

     Astoria and Draco just stayed for a moment, breathing peacefully. Astoria moved so she could see Draco's face.

     "This is ridiculous. I've known you for one day and I've already confessed my deepest, darkest secret to you."

     Draco chuckled softly. "Perhaps I have an irresistible charm."

     "No," Astoria replied. "It's more than that."

     "Maybe it has something to do with our parents trying to get us married to each other," Draco suggested.

     "Or," Astoria continued, "it has something to do with the fact that we are both scarred by war and desperately lonely."

     The pair stayed silent in profound understanding. For what felt like hours, they sat motionless under the stars. After hearing Narcissa's voice, they stood and left the peaceful dead of night