It Wasn't Real

TRIGGER WARNING ⚠️
This chapter contains a violent attack on a school

-

The classroom is quite, Sarah hasn't said a word. She's just standing at the front, her back to the board, and her arms crossed.

"Listen everyone." She sighs. "I'm sure you've all heard that somethings going on and I just want you to know this school, our system, is designed to keep you safe. There are-" before she could finish the intercom turns on.

"Attention all students and staff, this is Principal Holly Marks. At this time we are dismissing all classes and order everyone off school premises. At 6:55 this morning the administration received an email containing a threat to the school. We are now investigating but would like everyone to calmly collect your things and return home."

"Holy fuck." Molly mumbles.

"Okay guys. Don't worry about the poem analysis packet, just get home safely please." Sarah says as she starts grabbing her things.

Most of my stuff I keep in Sarah's back corner behind her desk so I quickly grab my stuff then take her hand. I start to pull her out of the classroom but she pulls me back.

"Ry wait!"

Her voice just sort of echos in my head and I don't realize what's happening until after I feel it. A wave of heat and bits of the wall slam into my body just as Sarah is pulling me to the ground. She throws her body in front of mine and holds my face to her chest to protect it. Despite the sudden heat I'm shivering, terrified.

I look over Sarah's shoulder to see a gun pointed directly at my face. With all the courage I can muster up I look the gunman in the eyes.

How did he find me?

"It's over darlin'." I watch him move to aim the gun directly between Sarah's terrified eyes.

"Dad please don't!"

I hear the bang and suddenly my head is spinning and my body goes numb. A piercing noise rings through my ears and my heart begins racing.

"Help! Please help!" I scream. My dad is gone, vanished into thin air.

"Riley?"

"Please! Please!" I beg.

"Riley wake up!"

I gasp and push myself up off the bed as my sobs roll in. A nightmare. It was just a nightmare.

"Baby? Come here." Sarah pulls me to her chest and I cry into her neck.

"We have to go! We have to leave, please!" I beg and then pull myself from her arms. "Just grab whatever. Please." I've started shoving random clothes into my backpack when I feel her pull me back into her arms.

"Where love? It's okay, just a dream." She says as she caresses my cheek.

"No I think- he know. He killed you- the school was- I can't-."

"Baby you need to breathe." She says, pulling me over to the bed.

"I can't-" I continue to gasp and choke on my sobs. "I'm-"

"It wasn't real baby." I nod and let the last few tears fall from my eyes. "Come on, back to sleep."

I let her arms wrap around me and she tries lulling me back to sleep. After a while it finally works.

~~~~~
Short update because I've kept y'all waiting a while!