Part 1

I sat in front of my grandmother's attorney while he read off my inheritance. I couldn't concentrate knowing my little niece will be walking through those doors in a matter of minutes.  I wonder if she knows about me, and if Diara ever told her stories about us as children.  I hope she has so I'm not a complete stranger to the girl. 

I can't imagine how scared she must feel.  Maybe by finding her father, she will have that sense of comfort she needs.  God knows I'm not the stable person she needs in her life. 

An eight-year-old girl isn't exactly an accessory to carry into clubs.  My life is fast-paced, and I live for the club scene.  I love my life the way it is, but I have a feeling my life is about to come to a screaming halt.

"Now on to the subject of Greer Copella, as you know you are her only known relative, which makes you her next of kin." He said.

"What about her father?  He has to be given a chance to raise his own daughter."  I asked.

"I agree, but the girl doesn't know her father, and there's no documentation identifying the man.  His name isn't even on her birth certificate." He responds.

"What happens if I find him?"  I asked.

"We would have to establish paternity, which takes time, and he would need to petition the court for full custody. I don't mean any disrespect, but why would you want to put this child through that kind of mess?  He clearly has no intention of stepping up to the plate, he's had eight years to do so, and hasn't made an appearance."  He said.

"Sir, at the risk of sounding selfish, a child isn't part of my life plan at the moment.  As you know, I don't have any roots, and a child needs a stable life."  I said.

"Are you saying you'd rather see her grow up in the system?  To be fair, I understand your reluctance, but you've not yet met this child.  She is an angel, but she's very scared. She needs family more than anything at the moment." He said.

"No, I don't want her in the system, but what am I to do?  Give up my career?"  I asked.

"Your grandmother has left you a very wealthy woman, Miss Copella.  Money isn't an issue, and the home she left you is more than enough.  You'll be here in New York, and I'm sure you won't have to give up your career."  He said.

Planning my life for me?

"I know nothing about children." I countered.

"All she needs is love, Miss Copella.  There is no instruction manual for mothering a child, but I can tell you, that you will benefit from this experience as much as she will in the end.  There's nothing in this world that compares to the love of a child."  He assured me.

And there's the guilt trip.

"She will be in my care starting today?"  I asked.

"Yes, once you sign all the necessary paperwork.  You've already passed Social Services screening process, so you are the child's guardian starting today."  He said.

I gave him a nod, although I'm not convinced we are doing the right thing.

I'm still trying to come to terms with my sister's death, and I'm supposed to take this little girl and act like everything is okay?  My sister avoided me for so many years.  She was so good to me when I was little, then abandoned me when I needed her most.  I guess I know now she was needed more by someone else.

Clara Ann was at the grocery, when my sister and grandma died.  She said Daira was coming around more and more often, but never brought her child.  She said whatever business she had with my grandmother was private, and neither told her anything.

I was nervous about meeting my niece.  Mr. Stall, the attorney, is speaking, but I'm zoned out.  I'm lost in my own fears and grief. 

I jumped when I heard a knock on Mr. Stalls office door, he told them to come on in, and I'm not ready.

A man in his mid-fifties, wearing a pair of jeans, a sweater, and his thin grey hair is pulled back into a ponytail.  He walked in and shut the door behind him, and I was surprised I didn't yet see the little girl.

"Mr. Robinson, this is Magdalen Copella, young Miss Greer's Aunt.  Miss Copella, this is Mr. John Robinson.  He's the supervising caseworker at the Department of Child Services."  Mr. Stall introduced.

I stuck out my hand and shook his.  "It's nice to meet you,  I've met Miss Calvert and passed all the screenings.  I'm surprised my niece isn't here today."  I said.

"She is in the reception area with Miss Calvert at the moment. I wanted to meet you personally today. Miss Calvert says you have some reservations about taking guardianship?" Mr. Stall motioned for us to take a seat.

"Yes, I wasn't even aware my sister had a child, and I'm afraid my lifestyle won't provide a stable and nurturing home for Greer.  Don't get me wrong, I don't want her to live within the system, but I would like to locate her father.  I'm not sure how permanent our situation will be at the moment." I informed him.

"I understand your concerns, and I can't promise what the future will hold, but I can tell you we have exhausted our resources in trying to find her father.  You are the only thing standing between that child, and permanent foster care.  She is considered an older child, and the reality is, we will most likely never find adoptive parents. If you back out, she may never find a stable home."  Mr. Robinson said.

Guilt again...

"What if I find her father?  Is there a time limit?" I asked.

He shook his head.  "If her father appears, he can establish paternity at any given time, but I'll warn you, that you may set yourself and that child up for heartbreak.  If she gets attached to you and her father comes along, you could again be turning her life upside down.  You won't have a leg to stand on if you decide you don't want her to leave your life."  He said.

Everything is a risk, I guess.

"Are you ready to meet your niece?" He asked, and I took a deep soothing breath to calm myself.