Part 18

Asher

After dinner, Dario and I went up to work on the safe.  I know it's a long shot, but finding anything relating to Calabresi may help free my daughter from this mess.

I watched as Dario drilled away at the safe, acting like it's just another day on the job.  Maggie walked in and shut the door behind her, then walked toward the small room.

"Any luck?"

"Almost there," Dario said.

"It's exciting, isn't it?  Like maybe there's a huge diamond or ruby inside."

"Maybe another tiara to add to your collection," I said, and both Dario and I laughed.

"Or maybe a foot up your ass." She said, and Dario laughed.

"I think that's more Dario's thing," I said, and we both laughed.

"Assholes" Dario muttered, just as we all heard a click and pop.

"Got it."

"Stand back just in case there's a booby trap." Maggie jumped back, and we both laughed at her.

"You guys are jerks."

"You're a jerk." Dario mocked her, and she punched his arm. 

"Open it, dammit!" She nudges him.

It was a much larger safe than we thought.  There's one shoebox after another filled with old letters, then a few boxes of jewelry that quickly caught Maggie's attention, and piles of old files.

"This must be your family crest." Dario wiped the dust off it, and handed it to Maggie.  She set down the jewelry and took it.  "Wow, it's heavy."

"familia, ut non moriatur" what do you think that means?" She asked.

"It's Latin for the family that never dies," I answered.

"You know Latin?" She looked at me with surprise.

"You don't?" I teased, and she just smacked my arm. 

She set down the crest.

"Guys, look at this." Dario handed me a letter, and I read it out loud.

"My dearest Gloria,

Days go by and I haven't seen you.  It pains me to know I did this to you.  I love you deeply and my only hope is that you are safe and our child will be born healthy.

Hannah is aware of our situation and has agreed to raise our child under the lie that she is the mother.  We cannot risk your father finding out about our baby.

Your mother has been our blessing and will be traveling with Hannah to retrieve our baby.  Then you can return shortly after when your studies are complete. 

Please never forget the love between us that created the precious child you carry inside you.  I will always cherish your love even after you marry George.

With all my love,
Hector Calabresi"

"It's dated October 12th, 1959"

"So, this woman is my aunt?" She looks puzzled.

"Well, short of a DNA test, I would say yes," I answered.

"Are there others?" She asked.

"There are hundreds of letters here." Dario rummaged through the boxes.

Maggie grabbed one that caught her eye.

"Dearest Gloria,

Our Olivia is growing so quickly.  I know it must be hard to watch her grow from the sidelines but I'm writing with news.  It seems our daughter has inherited her mother's intuition and got a bit too curious. 

She has found our letters and is aware you are her mother.  Your father has now passed so Hannah and I see no harm in allowing her to visit.  Just be careful with George.

Jack has proven to be quite the handful.  The boy has inherited the ruthlessness of this family. We both know this is not my child but I will do what Hannah has done for so many years and raise him as my own.  I'm just not sure what this means for his future.

Someday, I hope to once again hold you in my arms even if that means I have to wait until we reach the afterlife. 

Love Always,
Hector"

"No wonder grandmother was so bitter.  She didn't get to raise her own baby." She said.

"Why don't we each take a box and see what we find?" I suggested.

They both agreed, and we closed up the safe.

"We already knew her name, but this gives us answers on how my grandmother was involved."

We went to our rooms to get cleaned up for bed.  I decided to read after checking on Greer.

I read through several letters, then bingo.  I found one that will blow the socks off this entire city.  It will also turn Maggie's world upside down, and unfortunately put my daughter in more danger than I knew possible.

I got up and walked out on the balcony to get some air.  I could see Dalton's men guarding our house, but they're only noticeable because I'm looking for them.  Greer is safe for now, unless anyone finds this letter.  My fear is that old man Calabresi kept his own, and Jack knows the big secret.

The man has been chasing a ghost all these years.

I saw Maggie's light on, so I walked over to her door, but not before stopping at my daughter's and watching her sleep.  The moonlight lit up her room just enough for me to appreciate the most beautiful creature God ever created.  She was holding on to the tiara I gave to her yesterday.

I never believed in love at first sight until the moment I saw my daughter for the very first time.  For the first time in years, I can feel my shattered heart slowly piece back together.

I walked over to Maggie's window and was about to knock, but paused.  She walked out of her closet in nothing but her bra and panties.  She turned and I got one hell of a view of the most perfect backside I've ever seen.  Skip was right when he said her photos must not need photoshopping.

She slipped off her bra and picked up a white button-up shirt. She slipped it on and turned back toward me.

"I'm not shy about my body, Asher.  You can come on inside."

Shit!

She walked over, and she's not even buttoned her shirt yet, when she unlocked the door for me.