4

Dedicated to sophire_

CHAPTER FOUR

THERE are days we find ourselves running; running to save someone, running away from someone, running from our nightmares etc, but the race I was on now was the race to save myself from running. 

Yes, I am running to stop myself from running anymore.

That was why when I entered the building and was confronted by an intimidating stairs and an unavailable elevator, I just took the former. I didn't have the time to spare in waiting for the elevator, even if it would prove to be more efficient.

I couldn't lose more time.

Two at a time, that was how I confronted my adversary and in no time at all, I was on the third floor where the interview was scheduled to take place; only I was sweating profusely with my heart pounding on a higher frequency. I was also looking wet and dishevelled, considering how I had looked in the mirror this morning, it was safe to assume I was looking like a crazy person or at the very least, a very much disturbed one.

I followed the hallway staring at the name tag on each door. It was strange, the hallway lacked any life-like activity; virtually empty with no one in sight. Nevertheless, I kept on following the rugged hallway painted lemon-green and lined with beautiful paintings at regular intervals-in between two doors anyway. There were eight doors on the floor.

There was one painting however that got my attention; it was of a muddied boy taking a snap at a beautiful portrait of cat and dog laughing and holding hands, there was something in the boy's eyes that held me captive, a rare kind of hunger which the painter caught amazingly.

And yet as I lingered, my mind was brewing with a new kind of worry. It was strange but there was something more wrong than the wrong I was worried about. I feared it was something else; the materialisation of my biggest fear about the interview been over and I had missed it.

My despair increased tenfold with each step I took as did my fear. There was something sinister about the silence and it reeked of an undiluted danger. Nevertheless, I didn't let that dampen my spirit. I kept on moving my soundless heels forward even though each step was heavier than the last. I needed to try my luck and if I am lucky, great, and if otherwise, well I didn't want to think about that. I'll just have to cross that bridge when I get there, but first I need to find the-,

CEO's office.

I smiled at the door in front of me. Taking a deep breath, I straightened out my ruffled suit and knocked on the door before turning its knob. But nothing! The door was closed.

"No, no, no, please, God, please, please...," I cried, trying the knob again and again. And yet nothing changed. I tried knocking, but it was to no avail either. All my mind could think was that I am finished. Kaput, the end!

I found myself slipping down to the floor from the door I had leaned on, until I finally reached down. I can't believe I had missed the interview. My life was officially over.

Reima Ahmad is finished!

That was all my pained brain could think of, and probably, what would you do now, Reima? I just felt helpless and hopeless, and I didn't know how to deal with this specific scenario. I had planned for every scenario and even have my consolation speech for not passing the interview ready, and yet here I was devastated. God, I didn't have a plan for not doing the interview at all. I didn't even know that was a possibility.