27

Not everything seen is real

Sweet_Sultana

***

When I got home I met Jabir waiting for me.

He sat outside on the verandah with his head down with a twig in his hands swinging back and forth. Good thing I had dropped off my mum's car in the hospital, she's on a night watch and would be needing it. It made it easy to sneak up on him.

Slowly, I tiptoed taking extra care not to alert him to my presence—and I almost did, however he stood up at the exact moment I was close and I ended up bumping into him and almost losing my balance.

His arms went out immediately in my defense, encircling me possessively.

"Uhm...Hi," I cleared my throat.

"Hi," His voice was husky and his eyes held mine completely.

"Uhm...," I looked down at his arms around me.

"Oh! Sorry!" He muttered softly as he helped me to my feet.

I smiled and sat down where he was a minute ago. He did same.

"How was your journey?"

"It was okay."

I stared at him. He has his eyes shut and his hands protruding backwards.

"You are okay, right?"

He nodded. "I just missed you...a lot."

"Sorry...date with Hannah."

"I know." He sighed, "Still missed you though. I drove like crazy to catch you before you slept."

"I'm sorry."

"Just sorry?" He teased

I smiled shyly."I missed you too."

"Marry me, Rei." He said out of a blue which forced me to look at him. He was looking at me too. I looked away first.

"Aman is back!"

"What?" He seemed taken aback

"I met him earlier today when I went for a walk and then on my date with Hannah."

"Are you okay?"

He was worried about me even though he had just proposed and I had just told him my ex-husband was back. Typical Jabir.

"I am I guess," I mused softly. Jabir knew everything. The letters, my job, everything. I still have that habit of spilling out the truth in front of him like my very own truth syrup. "He asked me to marry him too."

"What did you say?"

"I laughed and then I vomited. I felt sick, really sick."

"And now?"

I sighed."I dunno, Jay. He said I should read the last letter."

"Do you want to?"

"Maybe." I exhaled softly. "I honestly don't know."

"I think you should."

I looked at him. He still has his eyes shut but they were now strain lines on his face. He was trying very hard to remain calm for me. I couldn't love him more than I did at this moment.

"Do you want to read it to me?"

He opened his eyes and held my eyes. I smiled at him and I saw him relax visibly. I dipped my hands into my bag and pulled out the brown envelope. I handed it over to him.