death mountain

death mountain was a long ride.

it took link about 2-3 days just to arrive at the stable near there.

he boarded epona, so that she wouldn't get tired from the heat of the mountain and bought some fire-proof elixirs for himself. he wasn't sure on how many he needed but he bought a few of them.

more like at least 7 of them.

he could already feel the burning heat from the mountain even though he was just outside of it. he walked and looked around.

damn there were a lot rocks.

link kept walking and walking, getting tired of seeing rocks until he reached eldin canyon. there, he saw that there was a mine and there were some people working there and he decided to take a look at it.

there were gorons everywhere, hitting their pick axes onto boulders double the size of them and chatting or humming songs. link tapped some of them on the shoulder and waved. the gorons always looked happy link discovered and he smiled a little. he thought it was nice how the gorons would ignore the fact that ganon could be unleashed at any second and instead focused on the things they love to do. the gorons told him of the divine beast, vah rudania, and how it would send magma bombs near goron city, endangering it. this was the only thing that the gorons would really care about.

link understood perfectly and knew he needed to protect the city. this was his job after all.

— later —

link easily dodged the active guardian that was ahead and eventually reached goron city, after drinking a few elixirs.

there, he decided to go in the armour shop and buy a fire-proof armour set. that would keep him safe from the constant burning heat. he walked out of the shop and stopped suddenly from the intense rumbling of the ground.

it was shaking, nearly making link fall onto the ground, until he placed his hand on a large boulder next to him, stopping his fall. large rocks started to fall from the sky above, covered in flames. he looked up and stared up at death mountain. there, he saw a giant mechanical lizard.

the divine beast.

it was roaring and hitting its tail against the mountain, causing rocks and boulders to fall down and crash. the rumbling stopped and link quickly turned around and ran to the chief's house.

the chief told link to find a goron called yunobo, and calm the beast (perhaps using a few cannons to do so). link agreed and set off to the abandoned north mine to find this 'yunobo'.

— later —

link returned to the chief, bludo, after yunobo told him that he'd meet him there and saw that he was no where to be found. link told bludo about yunobo and why he didn't come to him. the chief listened and went on to tell link that he was going to stop the divine beast. but after link heard a loud 'crack' chief bludo placed his hand on his aching back and groaned. the chief sighed and told link that he couldn't help anymore due to his back pain. at least not today.

"that yunobo! using daruk's protection for his own purpose!"

link cocked his head to the side.

"you don't know the legendary daruk?! there's a statue of him up there!"

link turned and stared at the ginormous statue. he felt something trigger in his brain.

-=-=-=-=-=-=-

"yeah! i think i'm finally getting the hang of controlling this divine beast!"

link wobbled a few times from the fast movement of vah rudania, listening to daruk's accomplishment.

"i tell you what! sure is a blast piloting a toy like this around!

let those champions know, they better eat their gravel if they want to keep up with daruk."

link smiled a little at daruk's teasing of the champions.

"i may not know a whole lot about this calamity ganon thing...but mark my words! i'll protect this land of ours to the death!"

link looked over at daruk.

"right, little guy?"

uh oh, link saw daruk's giant hand coming down to him and link mentally prepared himself.

daruk suddenly hit link's back and the hero stumbled forward and groaned, gently rubbing his back from the sudden impact. he probably should've physically prepared himself as well.

"hey, by the way, congrats on becoming the princess's appointed knight. that's a really big deal! protecting the king's daughter...but link."

link looked over at daruk, giving him a questioning look.

"just make sure you don't forget about your little friend, alright? you know, she really cares about you. becoming the princess's appointed knight can be a busy job. you make sure you're there for her too."

link looked over at hyrule castle and sighed. he smiled a little bit at the thought of her.

"hey! your ears are going pink!"

link shook his head out of embarrassment and daruk laughed. suddenly, the ground started shaking and daruk looked over at death mountain.

"what the-"

a rampage of rocks started falling from the sky and headed in the champion's direction. link gasped and daruk quickly went in front of the small hylian and enabled his power.

a protective void of red and orange surrounded daruk, and the rock blew up in small pieces when it hit him. daruk relaxed, and saw that link was unharmed.

"that was a little strange...as far as i know, death mountain has been quiet for decades."

the two champions looked over at death mountain, and linked faced daruk.

he looked worried.

-=-=-=-=-=-=-

link went back into reality and saw the chief yelling at him.

— later —

"maybe you should whistle, so that i know i need to stop? and then whistle again when you want me to move!"

link nodded slowly in agreement.

"alright! let's do this!"

yunobo followed link into the beginning track of death mountain. their task began and link wasn't scared.

he was confident and ready to take down the beast.