shield surfing!

link wouldn't speak at all for the rest of the journey. he was too frustrated and he didn't want to burden you with his problems.

you frowned, you wanted to talk to link and get to know him better. after all, he doesn't seem like your average traveling-hylian.

the two of you exited a small canyon near nero hill, and were now standing before a hill going down, past kolami bridge. it went straight down to rito stable. you beamed as you thought of an idea that would hopefully cheer link up a bit.

"hey, link?"

link hummed, sounding a little agitated.

"wanna do something fun?"

link's pointy ears perked up at this and he slightly turned his head to face you.
he saw a mischievous glint in your big e/c eyes and he raised his eyebrow slightly.

"let's have a shield surfing race!"

you exclaimed and pointed towards the sloping hill in front of you. you saw anger subside in his azure eyes, and were replaced by curiosity and excitement.

you jumped off his horse, making a small 'thud' on the green grass and pulled out your traveler's shield. link did same and pulled out his soldier's shield.

link looked towards epona, and caressed her nose softly. he'll call her at the end of the race. you looked around the area, noticing nice bumps in the land below that would help you pick up speed. 

"are you ready?"

link turned his gaze towards you, and nodded with enthusiasm.

"ready..."

you both stood on your shields, holding your arms out to stay balanced.

"set..."

you placed your left foot behind your shield slightly.

"go!"

you both pushed off the ground with force and glided down the hill. god, shield surfing was the best. the way the wind rushed past your face, pushing your h/l back. it made you smile and shout of out happiness, this was a feeling you could never get over. you felt free, free from all of your problems and stresses. free from calamity ganon's uprising.

link felt the same, as he smiled and glanced at you every now and then, seeing who was in front. for some reason, seeing you happy and enjoying life was calming to him, he didn't understand why, but he didn't care. 

it was close, pretty much neck and neck, until link managed to surpass you by a metre or two.

your face was struck with shock and he smirked at you, you smiled to yourself for little did he know, you took shield surfing super seriously. if you could, this would be your life profession and you were a huge fan of selmie, who was the champion of shield surfing. the blonde looked behind and made eye contact with you again, letting out a small chuckle as he knew he was going to win.

you rolled your eyes at him and noticed a small rock to your left. you glided your way over to it, and link looked at you confusingly. you grinned at him, showing your pearly whites and bent your knees as you neared the rock.

your shield went over the boulder, and sent you flying through the air. you felt like a rito, spreading its large wings, and flying to wherever their hearts wanted to be. link stopped suddenly, skidding across the ground to stop himself. he was quite fascinated by your skill and looked towards the sky.

you glided in the air, the wind being your guide and you spread your arms out and closing your eyes and breathing in the fresh air.

this is definitely what freedom feels like.

link watched you, his blue eyes glimmering in the sun. to him, you resembled a goddess, leading her people. he smiled to himself as you flew and he couldn't help but feel his heart rate pick up a little. the young hylian was impressed. 

your shield landed on the ground gracefully, and you slid all all the way down until you reached a flat surface.

you picked up your shield with your foot, and stood it upright, so you could lean on it.

link jumped back onto his shield, and met you on the ground. you were both breathing heavily, feeling the adrenaline rush through your cores. link smiled at you, and you smiled back. you were happy that he wasn't angry anymore and you mentally patted yourself on the back.

link breathed in and out, opening his mouth to talk.

"w-well...! that was exciting!"
-
"wasn't it?! oh, link! shield surfing is -and always will be- the best thing since sliced bread!"

link chuckled at your humour and passion, and turned to face the hill. you saw his horse waiting at the top and you felt your eyes focusing back on link.

your eyes scanned his face, taking in every little detail about him. his hair on the side of his face was flowing slightly, occasionally brushing his defined jaw every now and then. you felt a little bit of heat crawling its way onto your cheeks and you looked away.

link noticed this and smiled to himself again. he raised his arms, wincing a little bit from his injury, and whistled with his hands.

your e/c orbs widened, you didn't know link could do that!

his arms fell to his sides, and you looked at the hill. epona ran down the hill, meeting her owner and placed her muzzle over link's shoulder onto his back. his horse was giving him a hug and you felt your heart melt at the cuteness of it all.

the kind gesture, and link's red face. his ears were red as well. this was all too cute! he saw you staring at him with a wide smile and he turned away a little.

"w-what are you smiling at?"

-

"nothing!"

you said while dragging out the 'ing'. link chuckled bashfully and patted epona's neck. he grabbed her reigns and led her to the stable in front of him. you followed him.

even though you were at your destination, you felt a little sad. you loved his company and even though he doesn't show it, he loved your company as well. it was nice having someone be there with you. you didn't want to leave link.

something inside of you was telling you to never leave him.