Title

'In the Loving Arms of Servitude'

Copyright © Samson Ikechukwuka Arewah 2020

°°°

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

Preface

'Bondage can wear many masks, such that both master and slave be in shackles. With fate's license and resources, man can enslave man. But oblivious to him, he is also enabled to enslave himself.'

This is a very sensitive book; one which I hope I have written well, because of its delicate themes and its very real truths about the lives of so many young Nigerian children, forced by poverty and other inconsiderate factors, to work as glorified slaves for more privileged families, in exchange for food, shelter, clothing and education (not even salaries); all of which most times, may not even be up to standard.

This is a problem we face even now in our country, which has numerous ramifications:-
#HumanTraffickinginDisguise
#ModernDaySlavery
#HumanRightsAbuse
#ChildAbuse
#SexualAbuse etc.
This book is my humble way of sounding a wake-up call to fellow Nigerians, urging that they say 'no' to modern day slavery; be it under the guise of 'house boy', 'house girl', 'oguomwandia', 'person wey dey stay with me', 'pikin wey dem bring come for me', 'Ekaete' and what not.

It is more becoming to employ adult maids and pay them just wages for their services, while giving full respect to their human rights. The cunning technique of procuring 'cheap help', by exploiting the poverty and ignorance of young children and their parents needs to stop.

Of desperate parents, who out of ignorance or otherwise sell out their children to slavery, I plead from the bottom of my heart to reconsider. The 'better life' or 'greener pasture' promised always comes at a price, paid both physically and emotionally by the children involved.

Of the government, I plead intervention; that the full extent of the law be used to curb child trafficking.
Although, due to the country's deplorable economic state, such a direct intervention may end up rendering the children more destitute. Hence, of the government, I plead a more subtle yet fundamental approach. I beg for improvement in our living conditions, for cheaper food, for better power and water supply, better infrastructure, better employment and most of all, better education. A reduction in the country's poverty rate will greatly influence the lives of these children and those of the entire citizenry.

Of the passers by, I plead kindness, care and support towards these victims. In many ways, we can make their burdens easier to bear.

'And oh! Mercy! Mercy! Mercy!
Mercy on the master and mercy on the slave.
Pride, desire, love and insecurity
Can make man do many horrible things.
But humans we all are,
Prone to vice and virtue.
Some of us only better
Because we were born on the right side of influence.'

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~