9. Genesis

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

The day is overspent. But for some reason, the scorching sun is still as bright as ever. A young woman comes out of her compound, closes her gate and starts walking along the street.
She is quite tall and sturdily built for a woman, and her long kaftan dress seems to be amplifying the grandness of her stature. Her head tie is also quite prominent, although roughly done. And as always, her adirę looks good on her.
Her name is Amara.
She did not intend to look too flashy today, since she will only be attending a weekday mass. After work, she had parked her S.U.V. at home and chose to go to church without it. So today, she'll be using public transportation. She has no jewellery on as well, because the last thing she wants is to have her gold necklace snatched from her neck while passing Sabo market later in the evening.
Her majestic feet keep stomping the ground with deliberate humility as she walks. She wouldn't want any of her ever keen observers to think her proud. After all, she get money and her house is the most beautiful one in the neighborhood; or at least, that's what she believes people talk about when they gossip. She does not want to give by her behaviour, any justification to the false speculations of others about her or her family.
"They never mind their business." she mumbles.
Her right hand is firmly clenched around the folded strings of her blue rosary. And in her left, is a small lectionary with a thick maroon cover. To be honest, she looks like a soldier going to fight a war; a holy war. But the question is; will her spiritual warfare be waged against 'sin' and 'the forces that hinder love', or against her fellow human beings, whom she believes are the true enemies of her progress?
Well, whether they are or not, the coven of aunty Karo and her agents must hear from Amara today.

"Iya Tobi!!! You dey go church? " Iyabeji echoes at Amara with a loud voice, while holding onto a schnapps bottle and a small funnel

She knows full well that Amara is on her way to evening mass, as usual. Yet for some reason, she asks her that same question each day she passes by her kiosk. And making sure to be as polite as possible, Amara smiles brightly and gives Iyabeji the usual reply,
"E ku irolę oo, Iyabeji!.... Yes o, I dey go evening mass."

"Okay..." Iyabeji responds and then continues, while thoroughly scrutinizing Amara's attire,
"How my bobo nau?... Shey na ten years ee dey now? "

Iyabeji is a very inquisitive and outspoken person, who likes to know everything about everyone. She is an accomplished rumour monger, talebearer and information circulator. And her provisions kiosk is the depot, where all the gossips in the neighborhood come to get the latest news. It would seem that Iyabeji detests Amara's reserved nature and her acclaimed holier-than-thou attitude. The fact that Amara is very secretive about her affairs somewhat annoys her, most likely because she hardly ever gets any news to spread about Amara or her family. Nonetheless, this doesn't stop her from telling people what she believes to be true about them.

Amara on the other hand, doesn't like gossip. And she likes people who gossip even less, which is why she always tries to keep her distance from Iyabeji; knowing full well that it is her major hobby. Nonetheless, Amara is very cordial whenever she encounters her. Hence, she responds very warmly, "No, na six years ee dey now..."

"...Eh ehn?... Ee don big sha oo!!!... Just now, just now! ", Iyabeji interrupts.

Then Amara replies, adjusting the black leather purse under her armpit,
"Yes oo... What of our twins nau?... How dem? "

"Dem dey fine... Dem dey school sef... You know sey na private school dem dey go.", Iyabeji adds, afterwhich Amara smiles, nodding her head and increases her pace a bit, saying,
"No problem. Greet dem for me o! "

"Okay!!!... Go, come oo!",
Iyabeji responds, with a bogus smile on.

Amara replies with a similar smile,
"Mo dupẹ...ẹṣe!"

"O dabọ oo!!! ", Iyabeji echoes again, afterwhich she keeps staring at Amara as she slowly fades into the horizon, perusing her almost regal attire; so simple, yet so beautiful. Then she scoffs, as though unimpressed and continues turning kerosene into the schnapps bottle before her. While finally exiting the street, Amara shakes her head and mutters, almost in amusement,
"That woman will never change."

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

GLOSSARY
Adirę - A special type of Yoruba, Nigerian fabric.
Iyabeji - A name people call a mother of twins. (Mama Twins)
'she get money'- 'she's wealthy'
"Iya Tobi!!! You dey go church?"- "Tobi's mum!!! Are you on your way to church? "
"E ku irolę oo, Iyabeji!.... Yes o, I dey go evening mass." - "Good evening, Iyabeji!.... Yes, I'm on my way to evening mass."
"How my bobo nau?....Shey na ten years ee dey now?"- "How's my boy?....He's ten years old already, isn't he?"
"No, na six years ee dey now."- "No, he's six years old now."
"....Eh ehn?......Ee don big sha oo!!!....Just now, just now!"- "...Really?....He's quite a big boy already, isn't he!....Wow! So soon!"
"Yes oo... What of our twins nau?....How dem?"- "Yes indeed......What about our twins?.....How are they?"
"Dem dey fine.....Dem dey school sef......You know sey na private school dem dey go."- "They are fine...They're even in school, right now.....They attend a private school, you know."
"No problem. Greet dem for me o! "- "No problem. Say 'Hi' to them, for me!"
"Okay!!! Go, come oo!!! "- "Okay!!! Be safe!!!" (Another way of saying; 'come back safely' or 'drive safe')
"Mo dupẹ...ẹṣe!" - "Thanks, I will!" (Non-literal)
"O dabọ oo!!! " - "Bye now!!!"