16. Break Time

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

"Hey, Uju! I'm so sorry I haven't returned it yet. I will give it to you after break time.", Bayo pleads when he runs into Uju beside the canteen. And she squints in surprise. To be honest, she is totally oblivious to what this boy before her is referring to.

"...Your English note." he continues, noticing the confusion in her eyes.

"Oh! Alright, no problem... Thank you." she replies innocently, realizing her forgetfulness. How could she have forgotten that she gave out her English notebook four days ago?
'This is the height of indiscipline!', she scolds herself. It is not totally her fault though. Mr. Olaye has been a bit under the weather lately and has not come to class since that day. So, she has had no use for the notebook yet. 'Thank goodness he didn't give any homework!', she exclaims within herself. The school work seems to be so much these days that she can barely even think straight.

Then Uju immediately realizes that the boy is still standing in front of her. She does not even remember his name. It is nothing personal. She just has a plethora of things to worry about, both in school and at home.
Her daily tasks, academic work, domestic work, home trouble, existential and idealist issues concerning humanity and the world, her own emotional troubles, her goals and dreams; there always seems to be something occupying her mind. She is always lost in deep thought; always dreaming; always imagining; always thinking of more efficient ways to manoeuvre problems. Most of the time, she ends up getting lost in her own world, only to be roused by the vital needs of the people and world around her. Sadly, this is to the detriment of those who simply want her attention or other pressing trivialities, which ironically are just as important as the 'big things'. Her inherent social awkwardness as well, does not make things any easier.

The only close friends Uju ever had were those who seemed to share her love for imagination, and others like Amaka, who simply understood her nature and loved her either way.
'Oh, dear Amaka..' As much as Uju deeply wishes to, she hardly believes that she will find anyone else like her. 'Fearless Amaka! Kind Amaka.. So real and so true!' They had their quarrels, but neither of them would have traded their friendship for all the gold in the world.

One of the things that brought them together was the fact that they both value frankness and loyalty more than anything. Uju was the more introverted of the pair while Amaka, although a bit introverted was much more sociable and had quite a plentitude of friends. But the only one she seemed to truly trust and always came back to was Uju. They were kindred spirits. Even though some of Amaka's friends disliked their closeness, they still remained close. Who could blame them? Good friends are very difficult to find these days. And neither Amaka nor Uju was about to let the other slip away. As far as Uju was concerned, Amaka was all she had. Many of her other friends back then were lukewarm. The only other person in the world she trusted wholeheartedly apart from Nne was Amaka. It pains her dearly that she may never meet her again.

Once again, Uju realizes that she got lost in thought and totally forgot the young man before her. Then she sighs in disappointment and lets out a sheepish smile.
Bayo smiles back at her and then asks wittily, "Why are you always so distracted?"

Uju freezes at his question. She does not know what to say. And the more she stares at him, the more she begins to realize how good looking he is. She had not taken notice before. And now, although she is trying so hard to stop herself, she starts to blush. But with all her might, she morphs her face into a similarly witty demeanor and replies sagaciously, "... Distracted? How?"

Upon hearing this, Bayo rolls his eyes slightly and then turns to walk beside her as they return to class, afterwhich he begins,
"For starters.... you forgot that you gave me your English notebook on Monday. And it has been three whole days now!..."