Ch. 17

Recklessness was something not uncommon in Steve Rogers. Nor the Avengers- though that may have to do with Captain America's influence. 

"So you know what you're doing?"

Wanda shrugged in a "more or less" kind of way. Bruce was still pouring over the paper that had been produced, dashing from place to place from machine to machine and doing some sort of work few could thoroughly understand.

Vision gave a nod, Peter a thumbs up and a nervous smile. Tony just sat, sulking, an ice pack on the burn he acquired from Thor's lightning. 

"When have we ever not?" Tony asked, cutting a piece of duct tape with his teeth secure a piece of gauze he had found. Well, it looked like gauze. And it was soft, so good enough for him. 

"Since when have you ever been responsible?"

Tony sighed, leaning backwards. "I'm not the one who got frozen for- what was it?" Steve rolled his eyes. "Watch out, Elsa."

"Like an ice cube." Clint added, snickering to himself. The rest of the Avengers laughed slightly at Steve, who looked slightly flustered at this point.

Steve walked out of the room, gesturing those who were going to follow. "We don't know what we're up against. It took out one of our strongest- this fight won't be easy." Everyone looked solemn, grim. "But it sure as hell won't be our last. Everything goes."

"You going to do a team cheer now?" Tony called from the other room mockingly. 

Steve smiled at his friend's antics. "Let's suit up."

***

The window was wide open, the curtains drifting softly in the air from a wind they could feel. Clint rain over to the window, throwing his head side to side, looking for the man that had escaped. 

"There!" Clint pointed at the crowded street, singling out the man who had just been in their room. 

"Where?" Steve asked, shielding the sun from his eyes to look again. Clint chuckled. 

"I get it, grandpa. Bad sight."

"Are we just going to let him get away? Ooh, more careless than I remember." Loki commented. Clint scoffed.

"Do you have any ideas?"

"How about not letting him get away?"

Steve eyes the street, his eyes eventually falling on an individual dressed in black and appeared to be causing a riot on the street. Something uneasy stirred in his gut- why wasn't he trying to blend in?

The man continued to bustle down the street at a quick pace, hopping into a van that appeared at a stoplight. Two vans followed in suit, their order rearranging as they sped away. Steve hopped out he window, sliding down a pipe for a few moments before leaping, extending his arms and his shield - that Tony returned, with a few notable improvements- and connecting with the power lines. The shield laid flat on top of the wire, his hand positioned on either side of the shield's edge. The metal felt cool against his skin, despite having his uniform on. Along with being the world's strongest metal, Tony had installed a device that Steve could use to call the shield back to Steve's arm, which held a matching magnet. This of course, was paired with other improvements Steve hadn't had that pleasure of exploring yet

He waited a moment more before releasing the shield, dropping onto the van and rolling to a stop on top of it. He pressed a hand to his ear. 

"Can you guys hear me?"

"Loud and clear," Natasha answered. Steve turned around to see Natasha and Clint on matching motorcycles, clearly ones they didn't own. Well, they did now.