Ch. 22

Percy was confused. So, in conclusion, nothing was really new. 

"You good?" Clint asked, looking back from the front of the plane into the back. Percy, surprised, jumped a bit at his sudden words.

"Fine. Yeah, I'm fine," she answered, tapping her fingers against her leg nervously. Thor, noticing this, put his hand on hers comfortingly. 

Natasha frowned at her discomfort, but didn't say anything. She turned to Clint instead, who was concentrated on flying the plane they were in. 

"How is Tony going to get here anyways?" Percy piped up. 

"The plane will fly itself back. He'll meet us with the piece as soon as possible," she answered, continuing her small talk with Clint. Though she didn't know much about the team, judging on how they interacted, Percy could tell that Clint and Natasha were close. It reminded her of her relationship with Annabeth, which now thinking about made her heart ache for her friend.

Without warning, the plane gave a sudden lurch, jolting her from her thoughts back into reality. She looked over to Natasha, who was positioned herself in front of the window with a hand resting on the windowpane.

"What was that?" Percy asked, worry started to lace her tone. Natasha squinted at the horizon, waiting moments before giving her answer.

"Nothing good."

The plane started to lurch again, more violently this time, throwing Percy to her feet to examine whatever Natasha was talking about. It took her a moment before her eyes fixated on what was ahead- and a part of her wished she had never bothered to look. Beside her, Wanda and Vision had both joined in looking at whatever it seemed to be- which was nothing good.

Surrounding the plane was a cloud of darkness- like storm clouds, but Percy had a feeling these were much less harmless. Thor knit his eyebrows together, by the looks of it trying to gain control. And also by how it continued to grow thicker and thicker, was failing. 

"We need to turn around. Now," Natasha ordered to Clint, who was pressing buttons frantically. 

"I'm trying!" 

"Clint, we need-!" The plane gave one last jolt, then began to spiral out of control, falling fast through the air.  Percy grabbed onto the side of the plane, trying to stop from being thrown through a window. Clint, however, was less lucky. 

Percy could barely hear anything except the sound of wind howling in her ears and the high pitch whirring noise that was coming from the cloud- whatever it was. Out of the corner of her eyes, which were brimmed with tears, she could see Natasha reaching for Clint, who was clinging onto the pilot's seat in a desperate attempt to not crash through the front window.

And then from there, nothing.

***

"I don't understand. Aren't we supposed to be looking for Hemera's sword in the Athena Parthenos?" Steve asked Tony, who ignored him.

Steve, noticing the look of uncertainty on his friend's face, grabbed the billionaire by the shoulders to force him to look into his eyes. his arm placed firmly on his friend's shoulder.

"What's going on with you?" Steve asked. 

Tony looked sourly for a moment, then responded."You want to know what's going on? We just got to a place with no fighting. We were at peace-"

"You call fighting and then not seeing each other for months peace?" 

Tony looked appalled by Steve's sudden tone, which was far from the relaxed it usually was. He sounded weary, unsteady.