Meeting the other volunteers

December 14th 2014, Saturday

        I woke up feeling weary and tired, but chose not think about it. I showered, brushed my teeth and  got dressed and went downstairs to my mum cooking. Just doing those simple activities made me feel like I was going to drop dead.

        "Honey you're falling ill." My mum immediately said as soon as she turned around to me. My mum literally knew me more than I knew myself and if she said I was falling ill, she was probably right. I smiled though, trying to assure her.

        "I'm fine, just a little tired is all. I have to go to the Home a bit earlier today, I'm finally meeting the other volunteers." I informed her, grabbing an apple and putting my jacket on.

        It had thankfully stopped snowing and because I didn't have to get Devon a present I could take a nice stroll to the Home instead of getting a bus.

        "Maybe you should take it easy a bit hon and call them to say you aren't coming. You're turning pale, a lot more paler than normal." She pointed out. I shrugged, still putting' my shoes on.

        "I'll be fine, and if I start to feel anything, I promise I'm coming straight home." I said, getting ready to leave. I opened the door to a gust of wind blowing through my jacket and I shivered as my body started to ache.

        "At least have breakfast!" She urged.

        "I'll get a McDonald's breakfast mum, I'll see you later!" I called and ran out of the house before she could object. I was feeling incredibly tired and I felt like sleeping, but I had promise Ellie I would help her with an English study Annie had assigned for her and I wasn't one to break my promises.

        I went to McDonalds like I promised my mum, but I could barely eat the McMuffin I ordered.

        I saved it in my backpack for later and continued walking, thinking about my challenge to Devon and whether or not he'd kept to it. The more I walked, the more I felt dizzy and exhausted.

        I almost flopped down on the Home's welcome mat when I finally got there. I knocked and waited for someone to open the door, holding on to my head as if that would stop it from spinning.

        "Hey Suzie." I greeted when she opened and lead me to the playroom. She had explained to me that on Saturdays and Sundays, when the other volunteers were there, we would each have one person to monitor and work with out of the children.

        Even though Devon wasn't technically a child, he was still include because he was part of the program.

        I could hear voices before we even reached the playroom, and not the usual children voices. That was making my head hurt more but I ignored it and put a smile on my face before I walked in.

"Elaine's here!" One child cried which caused the other children to rush to me and the other volunteers to stop what they were doing and look at me with curiosity.

        I was aware I was the only volunteer they didn't know yet and as the children started hugging me one by one, I looked out for Devon who was by his corner with a girl next to him.

        She was effortlessly beautiful, with long flowing blonde hair and bright blue eyes and the kind of body that could attract any guy.

        I noticed that the guys that volunteered could not take their eyes off her and the girls that volunteered looked like they wanted to stab her. She was attempting to talk to Devon who looked seriously pissed off already.