The discovery 2.0

December 21st 2014, Sunday

       I opened my eyes to see my mum peering at me and then smiling when she realised I was awake.

        "We're going home!" She exclaimed, showing me the bag she'd already packed all my stuff in. I slowly sat up, still not used to the brightness.

        "The doctor said I can go home already?" I asked her and she nodded with enthusiasm.

        "Yes! Your tests came back great and as long as you don't overpower yourself with work and your keep a spare inhaler with you at all times, we should be fine." She informed me and I grinned, now feeling energised with just her words.

        "So I can go back to the Home?" She sighed, rolling her eyes.

        "Did I not just say you shouldn't overpower yourself with work?" I smiled, looking at her expectantly. She sighed again, turning towards the door.

        "Do what you want do. I'll go speak to the doctor and we shall be on our way." She said and left the room as I hurriedly put on the clothes she'd kept by my bed.

*

        We got home fairly early and I immediately rushed to the bathroom to take a shower where I didn't feel rushed. I got out, putting on something extra warm as per my mum's request and then left the house, ready to see the children again.

        As I walked, I thought of Devon and the conversation we had and the little elation I felt at the thought that I was part of his list of things that could potentially make him happy.

        Then I thought of Esmeralda and her husband and how they knew each other for two weeks but stayed together for more than 65 years. It was starting to lightly snow and I gazed around the houses I passed by.

          The people of Devon really took Christmas and Christmas cheer seriously. There were lights strung up, Santa Clauses climbing multiple roofs, gingerbread men on loads of steps. Trees with lights strung on them decorated everywhere I went and as I arrived at the Home, I was feeling a sense of relief and happiness.

        I pressed the bell, waiting patiently as I contemplated what I would give Devon next. I was probably the worst secret Santa ever, I didn't give him presents daily and half of what I gave him consisted of teaching him some sort of lesson about life and about himself.

        The door swung open to reveal a very Christmasy Devon. He was wearing a grey knitted jumper with a reindeer at the front with his nose blinking every few seconds. He had on reindeer antlers on his very ruffled hair and a ruby earring in his right ear.

        "Devon you have a pierced ear?" I asked in surprise and he laughed. Devon's laugh was very rare and I made sure to stare at him like a creep so I wouldn't forget it.

        "My ear is what you comment on, seriously?" He asked gesturing to his outfit and antlers.

        "Yeah what's with the outfit?" I asked, staring him up and down again. I was used to him wearing hoodies and dark jeans and his hair swept across his face like a side fringe.

        "Ellie has a mad obsession with Rudolph and every year, starting from the 21st she makes me dress up like this because 'you're too pretty not to be a reindeer Devy.' I'll take it as a compliment." He explained to me and I noticed he seemed a lot happier than usual.

        I smiled, shivering as the wind blew and he made way for me to come in.

        "How comes you're here anyway? Shouldn't you be at the hospital?" He asked, leading me into the kitchen and handing me a mug of hot chocolate which I took gratefully.