The promise

December 24th 2014, Wednesday

        "Tomorrow is Christmas day!" Ellie shouted as she opened the door of the Home for me and I laughed, bending down to hug her before entering.

        "I am aware Ellie. I can't wait for you all to see what I got you!" I said, addressing the children who rushed to me excitedly.

        "What is it?" Andre asked me and I grinned, putting my finger on my lips.

        "Only me and Devon know." I answered to their question as Suzie entered the room with Annie, talking about something. It had been a long time since I had seen them both. Annie was usually in her office nowadays with Suzie talking about important things, leaving me and Devon with the children.

        "Devon told us your birthday is on Christmas." Annie addressed to me and I nodded, looking around for Devon who wasn't in his corner.

        "Yeah." I answered, confused on the looks they both gave each other.

        "So how are you going to come to the secret  Santa party? It starts at 2 and ends at 4 to give the volunteers time to spend with their families. But I am sure Annabelle would want to spend all day with you." Annie replied.

        "Oh no, I haven't really thought about that." I whispered, looking around at the crestfallen faces of the children as Devon walked in.

        "So you won't be coming to the party?" Aaron asked me. I smiled and crouched down to his level.

        "I promise you I will come here tomorrow." I informed him, already trying to think of a way to make it. I didn't want to compromise my time with my mum because I knew how much she looked forward to our day together each Christmas day.

        I also knew it was important to visit the Home if I was going to reveal who my secret Santa was.

        Being in two places at once never seemed to be a problem, until today.

        "Are you sure you can keep that promise Elaine? I don't want the children to be heartbroken." Annie muttered to me, pulling me away from them.

        "I will be here tomorrow Annie, I promise." I whispered. She nodded and left with Suzie, seemingly content with my answer.

        "So how are you going to be in two places at once?" Devon's voice said from behind me and I sighed, before turning around to face him.

        "I will be here tomorrow, I need to show you the constellation." I said to him, walking with him to the backyard and sitting down on the steps. I grabbed his arm, because I knew I could and traced the constellation he had drawn on everyday on his fading scars.

        "It actually exists?" He asked and I laughed.

        "I don't lie Devon, it does exist and I will show you it tomorrow."

        "So you're going to come then?" He asked and I nodded.

        "No matter what."

*

A/N: Guys, Art will be finished soon! There is literally one chapter left of it. Oh and this chapter was short on purpose. Comment your thoughts on it and don't forget to vote!

Happy reading!